my 2 month old wont let me leave him alone with anyone else?!?!? HELP.

not even for a run to the gym or nails or groceries. not for a minute! he starts crying uncontrolably so bad he stops breathing and turning red until I hold him. its scary.

Dynamight

Asked by Dynamight at 8:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have to start leaving him with other people for short intervals...then longer and longer as if to wean him away from you....my son did cause im a sahm and i would have the neighbor come sit with him and go outside....short at first. he screamed at first but it got easier as we went through. GL
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• he i sONLY 2 months old! out of your womb eight weeks! give him a benefit of the doubt and be there fo rhim! let your husband go to the store or partner if u have one. it a a major adjustment for NEW borns to this BUG, COLD,. DRY, LOUD world,,, you are ALL he knows!! let the adjustments come when he is five to seven months old! IF that early! people are too quick to rush newborns into being strong and comfortable when they dont evfen know who they are yet! all they knwo is how you touch them and how you smelll! and how you feed them especially if breastfeeidng. you cant spoil an infant. he loves you and doesnt want to be alone from you. of course he has a dad to obut right now, sorry, his MOM is all. you guys have to FOLLOW HIS lead, and go with what he does. all will adjust out about five or six months old. i have a seven month old and a seven YEAR old son. both have never freaked out. be patuent and gentle, and NURTURE!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i have tried this and it was fine before but now he will continue on for two hours if im not back. the only reason he stops is cause he is exhausted or i rush home. a little crying would be fine but this is so scarey to the point where i think he's gunna hurt himself. Then he actually stops breathing and chokes. it really really scarey.
    Dynamight

Comment by Dynamight (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• then don't leave.. or leave when he is napping.. this is technically still the 4th trimester.. love your baby while he's a baby.. don't let him cry til he's this upset if you can help it just to get your nails done.. bring him shopping with you - I know you need alone time but that is when he is napping right now...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I agree with both previous posters actually.. You baby is still only adjusting to being out of your belly for 2 months now. It may seem like a long time but really it isnt. I would give anything to go back to that newborn stage. I used to bring my daughter everywhere with me because seriously lets face it, at this point the most they do is eat and sleep lol I could get my hair cut, nails done, and eat some lunch and she'd still be knocked out lol. Enjoy it will it lasts and then start trying to get her used to others.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You will both be better of in the long run if you do everything you can to meet your baby's needs now. Get a sling or soft carrier and wear him wherever you need to go. Take a walk, go to the store etc. with him strapped to your chest. Meet his needs now and he will be stronger and more confident and independent later.

He is only 2 months old, he needs his mommy! If you can do it with him, then take him with you.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Your baby may be having trouble self regulating. Part of self-regulation is the ability for him to calm himself in situations. There are steps that you can take to help him adjust. Do you tend to pick him up each time he cries? Do you always hold him throughout the day?
    If so.....try letting him cry for a short period of time to see if he is able to calm himself(unless he is ready to be fed or if the cry appears to be do to discomfort)......establish a time when he has his quite play time without you being right there. These small steps now might make it easier when you do have to leave him for an extended period of time.

If you feel you need some guidance you can visit my website at www.thepreemiebaby.com
    You can also drop into my virtual office right from my website, just click on the yellow V and it will connect directly to me. My sign will let you know if I am available,if not e-mail pmckimie@gmail.com
    PreemieHUG

Answer by PreemieHUG at 12:09 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• thanks for all the comments but i guess i made it seem like i want to leave him and be alone, I DONT. And this has only happend like 3 times ,but things my BF cant do for me like a quick hour at the gym ( after i've walked him in the stroller or carrier earlier in the day) i would love to do. I'm so happy to do what ever it takes to keep my babe happy and not cry and i DO understand the forth trimester concept. I read "the happiest baby" and it's been really helpful. I was just looking to see if this is normal so thanks for the advice and comments........ guess the gym will have to wait.
    Dynamight

Comment by Dynamight (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Welcome to motherhood! :) Your days of being "alone" are, for all intensive purposes, over. No more "quick" trips to the store, or regular gym, heck... even hair salon visits (I've got roots at least 3 inches long!)... and my two are 18mo and nearly 5 and quite happy to stay with several different people!

My first son was like this. He's just VERY shy at first and takes a LONG time to warm up to people.... I'm talking 18 months to warm up to his *grandparents*. It's okay, it's totally normal and he'll outgrow it. Having a baby truly is a life changing experience. You don't realize just how much until they get here... but it will get better! I promise. (and not all babies are like this... my second loves anyone and everyone the second he meets them. It's all in the personality.)

Get a sling to make those grocery store trips easier (I still consider it a "vacation" when I go to the store by myself!) :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:17 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I wish you all luck in your endevor and to enjoy him while he's small. I couldn't wait for my daughter to get bigger and Ican't stop my son from growing.
    I'm lucky that I'm a student and had to go back to school and so one day a week for three hours my son goes to daycare and lucky for me he's totally fine with it.
    If you just HAVE to get out and go to the gym perhaps plan it with your SO around a feeding that you'll diaper him, feed and cuddle him then pass him off once he's fallen sound asleep post feeding and if you know he sleeps for an hour then maybe you get 30 at the gym so you'll be home in time for him to never know you left.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 5:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2010