Now I feel like a bad bad person! :(

I just saw a car pull up to the liquor store. As my boyfriend was opening his door, a car was pulling up, not watching where they were going very well. I see this person with a BABY on their lap! WTF? I should have gotten out, and said something, but I didn't. I feel like I could have put that baby in great danger. I do realize my child would have been in the car alone then, but still! WTF was this chick thinking?!

What would you have done? I'm pretty sure that wasn't legal!

Chell.o_0

Asked by Chell.o_0 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I often ask myself the same thing. I know I should say something but then I realize I am placing myself and my child in danger of them retaliating against me or my DH or my baby. With road rage, gun violence, and very inconsiderate people who do not care what their children see I just have to hope that nothing happens to the child and go about my business. =(

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 9:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You're right on it being illegal but even i you did call it in there is a slim chance the police would do anything about it. By the time they are able to get a patrol car to respond that car would be long gone.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Sometimes all you can do is gasp in horror. I once walked up a smoking woman who was obviously due to give birth any day and said as friendly as I could... "Arn't you a little afraid that cigarette carcenogens will harm your baby?" She cussed me up one side and down the other... Another time, I pulled up next to a pickup truck loaded to the brim with plywood. A beautiful german shepard was on top trying desperately not to fall off. I looked at them and said, "You have such a beautiful dog, arn't you afraid he'll fall out and get hurt?" They flipped me off and drove off laughing at me. Once I actually saw a mans dog fall out of his truck and when I stopped to help he threatened to slug me out if I didn't "mind my own business" How many times have you witnessed some kind of domestic abuse and gone over to offer the woman help and watched in dismay as she attacked you verbally? Whatever you do, you end up feeling really bad.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 9:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They KNEW it was wrong...it just wasnt important.Next time I would write down the tag number and then call the police.They will send a patrol car out and they probably already had a record if they were doing something that stupid.
    EmilysMom105

Answer by EmilysMom105 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I probably would have backed my car out behind them to write down their license plate number and a description of the vehicle and called the police. Then if they left before the police got there, I would have given them the vehicle description and direction the vehicle was going.....I used to work at a daycare and one of the fathers came to get their 6 month old son. When he left, I happened to look out the window and he was driving with the baby sitting up in his lap! The carseat was rolling around in the bed of the truck. Of course we reported it. Then one time another father came to get his kids (3 and 4 years) I smelt alcohol on his breath, I had already had to stay an hour late for him to come get them, I called my director and the kids' mother to warn them, but no one would do anything. On my way home, I hit a down powerline almost wrecking. He had passed out behind the wheel and hit a power pole.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I would want to say something to help that baby, but I wouldn't want to put my own child in danger if that person was drunk or might turn violent. I agree with many of the above posts that writing down the license plate number and vehicle description and giving it to the police would be the safest option while still trying to help. Maybe keeping an eye on where they are going would help them find them faster too. Hopefully someone will catch them before that baby gets hurt.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• There are a ton of laws now about car seats. I get what you mean about feeling like you should have done more. But really, if the mother (of all people) doesn't care, then the only thing you might have been able to do is prolong any harm. It's a very sad thing, but unfortunately it's true.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 9:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i would havecalled the cops right there, and got the plate number.
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Ignorance is rampant!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2010