Grandpa is in my closet

My son is turning 3 in one week. On saturday he woke up screaming that grandpa was in his closet and has been terrified everyweek. He has very good vocabulary so we did talk about it and he kept repeating, grandpa was in my closet, why was he in my closet etc.. I asked which grandpa or as many questions as I could but all he could say was he was wearing a white shirt.. grandpa... well he has 3 grandpas and none of them does he call just "grandpa" One is papi - and the others are grandpa gary and grandpa Jim - so i asked if that is who it was and he said No, it was grandpa but ever since he has been afraid to go to sleep. He already has night lights and special bedtime toys, I've told him monsters don't live at mommys house and we have finger "monster spray" is this common? what else can I do to ease his mind at bedtime?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my children were scared or thought they saw something in the house we couldn't explain I would bless the house. You could use holy water or anointing oil. Pray as ou put it on the walls of his closet and door. You should bless the whole house and even your yard. You don't have to let your child know your doing it and see how things are after you do it. If it is negative energy this will help. Say a prayer with your son before bed as well as check the closet if he still wants it done. I hope this doesn't offend you. It works for us.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Is there a Grandpa that has passed before they ever met perhaps? At 3, he knows that it was none of his living Grandpas but still referred to him as Grandpa. I would be concerned that he was being visited by a ghost. Can you ask him why he thought the man was his Grandpa?
    If he brings it up again, open the closet and show him that nobody is in there. I would try to get more information from him.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I meant terrified ever SINCE not everyweek lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Well No, no grandpa that has passed and I wasn't close to my grandpa and my DH was very close to his but he passed 13 years ago.. that was the only one I could think it could / would be.. he never met him and we dont even have pictures of him so that could be why it would be hard for him to place.. I have tried to get more information but I don't want to scare him more either .. I now have to show him each night no one is in his closet and he makes sure its fully shut..
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My son kept talking about a monster with no eyes and sharp claws. I was freaked out. I asked this question here and a mom said there is a Little Bear that has a shadow of Little Bear making him look big, sharp clawed with no eyes. There was my answer. Did he perhaps see a show that may have brought this on?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010