I'm 4 weeks postpartum and bleeding bright red again, should I be worried?

I just recieved my first Depo shot last week and just started light work out and now I'm bleeding like a period and it's bright red!!! I called my doctor's office (of course she's on vacation now) but I asked the nurse and she said that it can happen because of the Depo shot.....but all the things I have read about postpartum bleeding is that it should lessen and the color should darken.....I"m just the opposite now.

Should I be worried? Has this happened to anyone else that was or is on the Depo shot?

MRS.GALLATIN

Asked by MRS.GALLATIN at 1:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Health

• Have you had your first regular period since you had the baby? If not, you should not have been given the shot. Birthcontrol is not to be taken until your first period.

I suppose that your bleeding could be from the shot, but it also could be from the workout. You have a gaping wound inside of you from where the placenta was attached. You were told (or should have been) to keep all activity light until your bleeding stopped completely. Any strenuous activity (even what you consider a light workout can be strenuous on your body) can reopen the wound and cause bleeding (new blood would be bright red as you described). I would not be concerned about it at this point, but if you start passing clots larger than the size of a quarter then you need to be seen ASAP.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I would call your Dr and ask about this. The Dr is not too busy to answer your call and his nurse is usually available to questions like this. Better safe than sorry.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• no I haven't had my first period, It seems like this is my first period. The nurse says that I can bleed a little after I have the shot. And what I mean by a light workout is walking for 15 -30 minutes....nothing strenuous, so I don't think it's the workout. I'm not passing clots so that is why I haven't been too worried. I guess I will just have to wait and see.
    MRS.GALLATIN

Answer by MRS.GALLATIN at 4:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• This happened to me ,,,,,,placenta was left inside of me (even after a C section)
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Taking bc kind of changing the rules on post partum bleeding. I would call and ask to talk to your doc, if you are really worried. The nurse or the doc can return your call, if they are too busy to take it then. If they think there is anything to be worried about they can have you come in. I would definently call though, it can't hurt anything. I have heard many different things with the shot. Everybody's body handles it differently. Good luck and congrats on your new little one!

alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2008