Do Atheists celebrate Thanksgiving?

As we were setting out our decorations for Thanksgiving and going over the meaning with our kids I got to thinking... How do atheists view thanksgiving? Giving 'thanks' to God is how most people view it. Do you focus on being grateful and ignore the giving of thanks?

Jambo4

Asked by Jambo4 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We can be thankful for what we have without making out like it's all because of god.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I thought the first Thanksgiving was the Pilgrims and the Native Americans. To my knowledge- the Native Americans were not all Christians at that time. The giving of thanks does not have to be to God. I always thought of Thanksgiving as being so wonderful because people of all backgrounds to be together and thank whoever or whatever works for them. JMO (and I am Christian)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It is being thankful for the year's harvest - why would they not celebrate??
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Im not an athiest but I have good friends who are. Ive also been homeless twice in my lifetime and I know from personal experience that the food on my table isn't a blessing from God. It's the end result of cause and effect. I work, I have money, I buy food. Being grateful makes you feel wonderful, but that doesn't mean anybody is watching out over you. Children starve to death every day on this planet... no thanks to His Grace.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 9:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They can be thankful without it being to God I guess. I would imagine they are thankful for what they've got.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I do fine taking God out of any holiday. Thanksgiving is about being grateful for what I've got, Christmas is about celebrating family and friends and a season of good cheer, and Easter is a fun way to bring in the spring. In high school, I told people that I celebrated commercialization, but really, when all is said and done, I do what you do...just without directing it at the big guy in the sky.
    sojourner.

Answer by sojourner. at 9:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• American Heritage Dictionary: " Thanksgiving: n. An act of giving thanks, esp. to God." "Thanks: pl.n. An acknowledgement of a favor, gift, etc. "

Who do you acknowledge?  Who do you give thanks to?  What do you tell your kids?

Jambo4

Comment by Jambo4 (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I always thought of Thanksgiving as being so wonderful because people of all backgrounds to be together and thank whoever or whatever works for them. JMO (and I am Christian)

Nicely said. :)
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I am thankful for my life, for my family for my situation. I don't have to give thanks to god but I can be grateful and thankful just the same.I personally enjoy family and friends and good times.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I give thanks to the store, which provided me the opportunity to buy my feast. I give thanks to the producers of the previously mentioned feast. I silently appreciate nature, the cycle of life, and the planet itself, for somehow, making it all happen. I express love my family and friends, whether they are with me or not on that day. I am thankful...for everything around me. I don't have to thank a god for it to matter.
    sojourner.

Answer by sojourner. at 9:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010