My 9 year old daughter has very few friends and her main one no longer wants to be her friend. She has severe anxiety, but tries really hard. She looks older than she is but still has the mentality of a 9 year old.

timide

Asked by timide at 10:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am so sorry for her and for you. I know you are feeling her pain. But I truly believe give her a few years and things will change. Be there for her.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• At my daughters school they have groups where they teach kids to relax a bit and how to make friends. My daughter was home with me until she went to school so she didn't have any real social skills (and since I was home schooled neither do I - you can't teach what you don't have - you know! lol)
    As soon as her teacher realized she wasn't interacting with her peers they got her right into these little groups, they're great! They learn all about their feels, why they feel the way they do, why others feel the way they do and how to be friends.
    Ask your daughters teacher if they have anything like that in her school, the groups are usually run by the guidance councilor - there is a group for every grade level. If she is doing well in school and does have some friends her teacher may not realize there is a problem or the guidance councilor may not be aware.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• my daughter too , although she is an adult now with 2 children of her own . it was very difficult growing up ,she usually made friends with younger children because she could relate to them . you will be your daughters best friend . good luck
    nanafor5

Answer by nanafor5 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2010