How long does mixed formula last at room temperature?

I'm trying to avoid throwing out more than needed. I breastfeeding and supplement with formula and often fall asleep before I put the leftover bottle in the fridge.

JennCharisma

Asked by JennCharisma at 10:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• two hours but if u mix it then put it in the fridge it will last 12hours in the fridge.
    MotoChick44

Answer by MotoChick44 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I never kept it for longer than an hour.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• The folks at the hospital told me that no formula (once opened) should be left at room temperature for more than 1 hour, but that it is fine for up to 48 hours in the fridge IF you didn't expose it to germs That is, if your kid was drinking from the bottle with all the formula in it, then the 48-hr rule doesn't hold, though in my opinion it is probably fine to refrigerate until the next feeding.
    aquamarine381

Answer by aquamarine381 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• there is time limit info on the back of the can
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I believe it is 2 or 4 hours, check the back of the can. It's been a longtime since I had a baby around.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Look on the back of ur formula can-it says no more than an hour at room temp. if refrig-24hrs. but they dont reccomend warming already made formula-bc it kills the nutreints in the milk baby needs.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If baby drinks from the bottle but doesn't finish it within a short amount of time (30 minutes or less) then you need to dump it - do NOT keep a bottle that's been in baby's mouth. But if you mix it and baby doesn't want it quite yet, 2 hours max. You can keep mixed formula in the fridge for up to 48 hours, as long as it hasn't been drunk from.
    Anonymous

• Yes, two hours at room temp, but 24 hours in the fridge.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I was told an hour at room temp or 24 in the fridge... or at least that's what we go by around my house. I make enough bottles to get through the day and then keep 'em cold. and if bottle isn't fully drank after an hour and he's done we chuck it.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 5:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2010