What is your opinion on rubbing alcohol, like whiskey or rum, on a babies gums for teething pain?

Sorry for those who have already attempted to answer this, but I tried to edit the wording on the question before, but it wouldn't let me since someone had already answered. That type of thing is probably my biggest pet peeve about CM answers.

I deleted the other question because I couldn't edit it and no one had had time to see my attempt at revising it in an answer.

Once again: ****I do not have a teething baby, nor do I know anyone who does***

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My oldest son..now 28 cut his first tooth at 6 weeks. From the time he was 4 months...until he was 24 months..he had as many teeth in his mouth as he was months old. I had a child that teethed non stop for almost 2 solid years. When little else would even help for 15 minutes my Pediatrician finally told me to rub alittle whiskey on his gums no more than 3 times a day and see if it helped. I saved it for when the nerves were jangles and he was just beside himself...and it worked very well for us. That in combination of baby aspirin worked the best. Infant motrin wasn't around yet, at least where we lived. Is it the best or first solution..of course not. Is it a last ditch effort to relieve an infants pain..absolutely. Imagine my surprise when my last child didn't cut a tooth until he was 9 months old..and didn't cut another for 4 months. I went to the Dr. all concerned and he laughed at me. I had a 'normal' baby finally.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• When I was a baby and I'm a senior, I heard about Mothers doing it all the time. Guess an old wives tale.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i thought about it at 2am with a screaming baby who wont stop crying no matter wat i do to help her teeth!!! she has gotten 8 teeth in the last 4 months!! its insane!! a tooth every other week and normally its 2 at a time!! i got caroline an amber teething necklace its working great so far!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't want someone rubbing it on my gums, so I don't think I could do it to one of my children (or anyone's child). That stuff is just straight up gross (any type of alcohol, I know you don't mean the isopropyl)! The best thing I did was use a mesh food holder thing and put frozen fruit in it. Much tastier than alcohol haha!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't use anything for teething but, whiskey is no worse than Tylenol for teething. At least with whiskey the numbness lasts longer than Oragel or Tylenol.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i'm sure that a little bit of alcohol won't really hurt anything in the long run but there are other remedies nowadays that you don't have to take that chance.
    I'm sure that the alcohol would make the little one drowsy and I personally hate that feeling so I wouldn't want my baby to feel that way either.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:38 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I PROBABLY WOULD, i HAVE 4 KIDS AND ONE ON THE WAY AND HAVE NEVER HAD TO, BUT IF I HAD ONLY THAT AS AN OPTION, YES! iT WONT KILL HEM, AND IT ISNT ILLEGAL, SO RELAX, AND KNOW THAT IT IS THE STIGMA PEOPLE AVOID, NOT THE ACT ITSELF!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I don't believe that any of them do anything for the pain. They just dry the gums out so that the teeth break thru faster.

I didn't and wouldn't use any of them. Frozen french fries and tylenol for us.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• No,no,no to rubbing alcohol.It should not be ingested nor put in anyones mouth.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 10:30 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't know ... I've swished some Jack around for a toothache and it burns so I'm guessing it would burn in a baby's mouth too. I know they (old wives tales) used to tell moms/parents to do that, but after having the burning in my mouth, I'd have to say no.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010