How do I prevent my LO's teeth from becoming decayed if he's still waking up for a bottle at night?

My 11 month old still wakes up for a bottle every two hours. I've tried everything to get him to sleep through the night- but nothing works. I've come to the conclusion, based on other mother's advice, that he'll grow out of it. However... he just got 4 teeth in a few weeks ago and I'm scared that they will become decayed. I can brush his teeth during the day but not at night as he falls back asleep with the bottle in his mouth (I'm holding the bottle) and it would wake him up. So... any advice?

ferguson81

Asked by ferguson81 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Feed him more tablefoods so he doesn't rely on the bottle. Also, give him plain water when he wakes up. No way an 11 month old should be getting up every 2 hours for a bottle.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• He eats table foods all day long. And has several bottles. I've tried water, giving him more food, everything. He still wakes up and wants that bottle. Other mothers on here have said that their LO's did it too, and eventually grew out of it. So... that's not the problem. The problem is preventing tooth decay.
    ferguson81

Comment by ferguson81 (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• well you can water the milk down and i always feed my kids dinner then about 30mins before bed i give them more food so they are full and may not want a bottle as much..but some kids just want the bottle so its a question i would ask his doctor and see what ideas he or she has.
    MotoChick44

Answer by MotoChick44 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• then for just the tooth decay u will just have to brush as much as you can nothing you can do at night really.
    MotoChick44

Answer by MotoChick44 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• my son was still waking up ever four hours at 11 months; so i bought the no cry sleep solution book and tried her method and by a year old my son was sleeping through the night without waking up bar any falls out of the bed or things like that
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Thanks bc19... I'll try that. But any other advice is still welcome.
    ferguson81

Comment by ferguson81 (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• don't a lot of kids that get bottles through the night not get tooth decay? i breastfed all my kids through the night. i am not convinced that the bottles are to blame. i don't know, but it doesn't seem like bottles at night guarantee tooth decay.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It may not, but I'm worried. My oldest son slept through the night from 4 months, but this one is so different. I didn't have these issues with my oldest.
    ferguson81

Comment by ferguson81 (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I'm in the same predicament you are, but with a 16 month old. I give her floride drops, and brush her teeth with a floride free toothpaste (Orajel training toothpaste) when she wakes up, before bed, and I usually give her a toothbrush to chew on after her afternoon nap. It's hard to get them sleeping through the night, I feel you and for you. A lot of helpful suggestions are easier said than done. I just keep thinking that this wont last till she's in college!!! =P
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My daughter liked bottles at night so I would fill it with water and let her have it. Now she's 3 and she will still wakeup for drinks so she gets to have a water bottle in her room that sits on her bedstand.
    My SIL would mix a little rice cereal into her son's bottles at nighttime so he didn't wake up as much. I know it's frowned on, but if it helps...
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 5:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2010