What would you do?

My niece is 2 1/2 and last month she was in the NICU do to trouble with breathing. She was very sick and when she went home everyone was told that she is high risk and to be very careful if she gets sick again cause she may not be able to fight it off. Well my sister in law decided that she wanted to go shopping the other day on an extremely cold day even though my niece had a cold. She dress her daughter in a dress with tights and took her out in the cold so she could go shopping. My niece ended up using her inhaler more than four times that day. And all because my sister in law insisted on going shopping to get new clothes for herself. My DH is talking about calling DCYF on his sister which in NH is our child protective services. What would you do? This isn't the first time my sister in law took her child out when she was sick and made her sickness worst just because she wanted something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• DCFS is probably NOT going to do anything. If the child is otherwise doing ok, there is food in the house, etc. there is NO law about taking a sick kid outside. Your SIL is just being an idiot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I doubt DCFS will do anything. I work in a school setting and it makes me so mad about the situations they don't do anything about...so I highly doubt they will do anything about this. I agree it was a bad decision on your SIL...maybe just offer to babysit if you can next time. Poor girl!
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 11:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Even though DCSF might not do anything I think that it's important to try. That child needs someone to protect her before one day her illness takes her life, because your SIL decides her wants are more important then her daughter's needs. You need to stand up for that child and try to get her the help that she deserves. Her mother obviously is too selfish to realize that her child needs to be protected.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If your SIL is taking her out just to go shopping for herself, she's being selfish. She should at least find someone to watch her while she goes out. Why don't you and your husband offer to watch her when she wants to go shopping?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would tell your sister in law that if she needs to go shopping when your niece is sick that you will be happy to stay with her. Hopefully you can do this gracefully and with a loving heart.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• You hold her down, I'll tie her tubes!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2010