my son is a picky eater.he only likes to eat only chicken nuggets?

tiffanycamb

Asked by tiffanycamb at 10:36 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep offering new foods, he needs time to get used to new textures and tastes. Try veggie nuggets.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• This one is going to sound a little harsh, but trust me it isn't. I had to learn the hard way, with pizza, which was my son's favorite food. Stop buying them so often.He wont starve, trust me. Give him a plate with small bites of what you fix for meals. Don't make a big fuss, just set it in front of him and encourage him once or twice to eat. Eat your meals with him so he sees you enjoying your dinner. Be a good example to him. Be consistent. If he refuses to eat after ten minutes, put him down to play or whatever you want him to do. If he gets hungry, show him the plate. Most likely there will be something on the plate he likes. Try something new the next time. Don't worry too much, kids will eat when they are hungry. And if all else fails and all he wants are chicken nuggets, remember that this too shall pass. Next it might be peanut butter sandwiches. Keep offering him other foods no matter what though. Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• try making them yourself. i use panko bread crumbs...no chemicals, you can puree any veggie to dip the raw chicken into before dipping into the breadcrumbs. look for all natural dipping sauces.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I used to have the same exact problem and i mean exact he wanted nothing but chicken nuggets he wouldn't even eat the veggies i put on his plate. but what i did was I stopped buying them because if i baught them then that meant I might give in to letting him have them. I got tierd of making 2 to 3 different meals for just one meal time. so every time i made a meal thats what he got. he didn't eat it o well. but every time i saw him try what i put on his plate i praised him and let him know how proud of him i was that he tried something new. I also have two other children and even if you don't have two other children you can just do this yourself. but every time for a while his siblings or I ate all of our food we got a surprise. whether it was pudding, cake, applesauce, animal crackers, raisens, ect. we got a treat. Once he saw what was going on he started scarfing down all of his food so fast. then when he did he got a treat.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 10:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I would just stop offering him them and give him what you want him to eat. Do not give him choices and he will learn to eat everything.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• now we don't do treats or desserts every night but we lessened it to a few nights a week but they still eat their food just in case it is the treat night. also one more awesome thing I found to help is my kids starting liking yo gabba gabba alot for a while and they have an episode where they talk about trying new foods. they even have a song "try it you'll like it" and my son sings it every time i give him new foods, and he tries it. maybe you can look up that episode and show it to him. it might help. I wish you a bunch of luck!!!!!
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 10:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Stop feeding him Chicken Nuggets. Every child will eventually give in when they realize that what they want isn't being offered anymore. He will put up a fight and he will try to get you to give in, but he will eat something else when he's hungry enough. Just keep offering new foods. Especially eating them when he is. Give him an offere of two bites and that he doesn't have to like it, but you would like him to try it. Encourage him by showing him how good foods are. Maybe even have him help you make them, that might encourage him to eat more foods.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I agree with some of these other ladies... stop giving him nuggets! Don't even buy them for a while... he'll have to learn to like other foods.
    Try some other foods that might be similar to a nugget to start with.... Fish sticks, chicken or fish patties (I take mashed potatoes, tuna, chicken or turkey, an egg, onion and salt and pepper, mix it up form into little "nuggets" coat in bread crumbs and pan fry them)
    Change up some of his other favorite foods too so that he learns to like and try new things.
    Don't force him to try things... but also don't give in if he chooses not to eat... don't offer a snack if he doesn't eat well... he'll be much more likely to try something new his next meal... and for sure don't cave in and give him only foods you know he likes. He won't starve!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Go to weelicious.com they have really great and healthy recipes ......and usually very few ingrediants (most you will have in your pantry) Good luck
    haydensmommy009

Answer by haydensmommy009 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2010