Allergy help?

I am totally desperate. I am taking Benedryl and Singulair right now. But, I was interested in learning any old wives' tales on how to get rid of allergies, if there are any, or even a natural alternative. What do you take?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 10:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Health

• I shop from the Wellness Store that has products that kill dust mites and that are not harsh on our senses. Make sure you are showering before bed and washing your hair , washing your sheets and blankets weekly in hot water and change your pillow case nightly. You can even get those bed and pillow covers. Change your clothes when you come home from work and do not leave them in your room. Change your A/C filter every 2 weeks to a month. Vacuum under dressers and all the beds, and under furniture. Clean light fixtures like ceiling fans. Dust everything in the house. Wash your pets. Use a neti-pot and purchase local honey within 100 miles of your home. Eat it daily. We are lucky and have found honey from a bee farm within a few miles. Rinse your face a few times a day and keep your hands clean. With all that It was still rough this year and we still all had to get 12 hour antihistamine/decongestants prescribed
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It depends on what you are allergic to. If it is the pollen, then local, RAW honey (meaning it is not heated) can help, I made a post about this in The Science Spot if you are interested in reading more about it.

If, like me, it's too cold out for allergies now, you must be allergic to something else. Pets? Dust mites? Some product you are using, like paper products, soaps, Tide, perfumes? If you can start getting things out of your routine, and checking the house for hidden dust and mold, you may be able to get rid of your triggers.

Or else you can end up at the allergist for a consultation in December, like me.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:51 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Honey that is prodcued in your area. I know how you feel, I take Zyrtec D, Singulair and Prednisone when it is really bad.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Local honey, neti pot (or some version of a saline nasal rinse), changing up your meds can sometimes help.
    Anonymous

• I use Claratin, buthave heard about local honey, too.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 12:15 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Cut gluten from your diet.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2010