If you are doing an international adoption....

Where are you adopting from? And what made you choose that country, if you want to share? We are adopting from Ethiopia. After all our research on domestic adoption and international, and then the different countries our agency works with, this just felt like the right choice for us.

VeggieMuslima

Asked by VeggieMuslima at 10:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Adoption

• I have not personally done it, but a close family member adopted from Russia, no sure of the agency... but it has been going great so far =]
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 10:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We adopted from China almost 4 years ago. Dh and I discussed it on our first date at the age of 16 and found that we both wished to do this whether we had biological children or not. Both of us had a strong pull towards China. Our dd came to us at 17 months old and will be 5 in 3 days...gosh, where has the time gone??
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:34 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I was very interested in Guatemala when we were looking to adopt. We did not end up adopting internationally due to the expense, and the fact that all of paperwork was intimidating to me. Good luck with your adoption plans!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• We adopted from foster care, but I did loads of research before landing on that decision. At the time we were focusing on Guatemala, Russia and China. Now, I have no idea since the waits are so long and so many countries are not open to adoption agreements with the US. I think Ethiopia sounds like a wonderful decision. What lead you to that choice?

Best wishes! :)

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 1:03 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Our daughter is from China as well. We chose China for a lot of reasons - some of them practical (one trip, relatively healthy children, low incidence of FAS, predictable process, an established support system, etc), some of them based more on a feeling (our interest in Chinese culture, knowing other families with kiddos from China, etc).
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 1:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• We adoted from Ukraine, our daughter 7 years ago, her brother 3 years ago. We chose Ukraine because at the time, the wait was less than a year. China was very popular, but the wait was over 2 years and my husband and I were older. We took a huge risk and adopted our daughter at 9. We have also adopted from the USA. Do you want a newborn? Be prepared for a lot of paperwork and expense.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2010