Meal time makes me crazy! Need advice

My son will be 4 in February...He absolutely makes me crazy during meal time because he will not eat.....I have to pack his lunch for preschool and he eats very little. He is good at eating fresh fruit and veggies....mainly carrots. I can't get him to eat meat at all...he doesn't like peanut butter etc....I'm worried he's not getting enough protein...He still drinks whole milk and sometimes will eat yogurt. He is little still weighs right at 30lbs. I try not to let him snack much and my husband and I sit down every night at the table and eat dinner with him.....Suggestions?

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 10:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let him get hungry like you are doing with not as many snacks, and just let him be. He will eat as much as his body needs.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:02 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• We try to not give him a snack after dinner especially if he doesn't eat...but he'll often ask for an apple or something healty...so we give it to him....I feel like I'm starving him if I don't. Sometimes we can get him to eat with a bribe....Tonight we had porkchops....as soon as he saw it....it was the same thing...He said he didn't like it...(without even trying it)...so we told him he had to eat 5 bites before he got a piece of candy from Halloween...it worked. I think it's just a mind game....makes me crazy!!!!!!!!!!
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Some kids just don't like meat- I was one of them. I still can't eat it. To me, it tastes like rubber. I've been a vegetarian most of my life and am perfectly healthy :) But he also might be trying to assert his independence... with me, bargaining never worked. I still refused to eat meat. Hopefully he will come around. It's good that he likes his fresh fruits and veggies though :)
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 11:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I found a pretty cool website with kid friendly foods. It's called www.weelicious.com. It's pretty healthy stuff too. I have a 4 year old who hates eating meat too (unless it's a burger from McDonalds) so I know how you feel. Does your son take a multivitamin? I make sure my daughter takes those because she's not the greatest eater in the world either. Anyways, my daughter seemed to like quite a few things from that website I mentioned. Some things are worth a try!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Honestly, there are other ways to get protien and iron in him then eating meat. Look for other foods that are high in protien and try feeding those to him. If he isn't lacking nutrician then it's okay that he doesn't eat meat. Again though, there are other foods that are high in iron and protien that he can have.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Jessica Springer has an amazing cook book for picky children, you should check it out, it's all about hiding food they hate in food they love
    strictmom_anna

Answer by strictmom_anna at 2:11 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• As long as at some point in the day you can get him to eat both grains and beans he'll be getting all the protiens even if he's not eating meat.
    one trick we do is when my daughter gets a treat of chocolate milk I use instant breakfast to help make up for nutritional deficits. We also adhere to the one bite rule.
    Try hiding food in other things. Chili or Spaghetti are good for hiding things from Em. Or meatballs. Maybe try having him help cook. Tenderize the meat or help roll chicken through breading, ect. Hide the meat in a specialty food, Mac N Cheese with hamb. or hot dog. Not the best meat but better than none.

JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:54 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• eggs are a good source of protein try giving them to him in the morning. my daughter wouldnt eat meat for a while and i was giving them to her and the doctor said that was a good source and keep giving them to her along with the stuff that has eggs in them.
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i have figured out that my daughter loves peanut butter spread on a tortilla shell then rolled up. she does unwrap it and eat some of the peanut butter out but i roll it back up and she will eat the rest with no problem
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2010