So the president is campaining for certain groups...

Is it ok that he's specifically targeting blacks according to this Yahoo article?

"The president traveled to 14 states in the final month of the campaign, some of them twice, in a bid to rekindle the enthusiasm of young voters, liberals, blacks and independents whose ballots propelled him to the White House."

So we've got age group, political group, race, political group. Is this ok? Is it ok that politicians in general see us as nothing more than target demographics? Why would the president be campaigning more towards one race than another?

Or is the group of people contributing to the article misspeaking?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Campaigns cost a great deal of money. Of course, part of the process is getting the best bang for the buck; isolating the best "the target group." Elections, campaigns, target groups, demographics, polls, surveys...it's a FT industry

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Every politician has their own target groups... We are all different and will vote for whom we choose, what those (young voters, blacks, and independent groups) have in common are that they rarely vote. So like the statement said he is trying to get their enthusiasm up again so they can vote again, and let their voice be heard. Maybe other politicians should target those groups as well......

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Yes, the tactics used to entice a vote or a purchase are the same. It's up to the consumer to determine IF those tactics are successful or not.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:16 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I don't have time to check out the link, but my first thought is that some groups are less likely to vote in these elections. Seems like everyone turns out when they're voting for a president, but some are a lot less likely to show interest in a senate race.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• How is it any different than Palin targeting working class people and soccer moms? You don't like anyone to bring up Bush, but I do remember when he was in office and all the blame was pushed on Clinton. And when Clinton was in office, people blamed Bush senior. It is just the way it is.
    I wasn't even blaming Bush. I was merely pointing out that ALL politicians push the people they think they can get the vote from.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I almost feel like it would be better if people voted like they used to do the old dating shows where the candidates sat behind the screen and answered questions without the benefit of appearance and all the trickery involved.

I like this.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_campaign_rdp;_ylt=ArrzUYFXPZkx1F8121p0KhKs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNmODdrMGZsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAxMTAyL3VzX2NhbXBhaWduX3JkcARjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzEEcG9zAzIEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA2dvcHVwYmVhdGRlbQ--

lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• How is it any different than Bush targeting upper class, white, conservative men?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I don't get why we are demographics to them at all. They are not trying to sell us laundry soap or the latest color in nail polish. Something isn't right about all this.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010