would you allow the friend or try and talk her out of it?

I have to go to the mid-west this summer to visit my family. It is a very small town with maybe 300,000 people and nothing to do. One museum, a children's zoo, if there are out door sports my over weight and under-active family have NEVER told me about them. Basically when we visit, we sit inside because it is humid and buggy out and talk to family. IF we go any where it is to the mall... because there is nothing else there.

SO.... my ding dong hubby told my 15 yr old daughter she could bring a friend. TO DO WHAT??? So now Ill have to deal with TWO board teens??? And what is this other girl going to do with my family?

If it was hubs east coast family it would be fine... they are fun, out going, they laugh, play games, etc... she would have a great time. But my mid-west family... are dull... they are not active, they dont travel, they have nothing to talk about, they dont play games...

WWYD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• They will talk, scope out the neighborhood boys, bond...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I wish... she lives out side that small town in a smaller town... less than 3,000 people and way too rural to walk around in. I suppose they could hang out with the Amish boys and try to corrupt them. LMBO... definitely something they couldnt do at home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Um a town of 300,000 is "very small"?? sorry but there are towns around here with a population of less than two thousand... those are very small!
    Now, about your question... all you have to do is Google "events in Smalltown, USA" or contact the local visitor's bureau and you should be able to find all sorts of stuff to do. I live in Rochester, MN, which is an even smaller "town" of 100K and there is always something going on!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• They are teenagers. They will find something to do. At the very least your daughter will have someone her age to talk to and hang out with.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Good point MommaofH2...... My family is just SO inactive. I didnt even know there was a river next to my moms house until I went for a run one day.. I was soooo board I just took off. I asked about boats and she was clueless. Ill look into it. The family NEVER, in the 20+ years I have been visiting, has invited me to do anything other than sit and eat. It is as if they dont know what the outdoors is for.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• You can tell your daughter that her friend needs to know what it's like out there, and then let her friend decide what she wants to do. Then again, if it is as boring as you say, they can keep each other company. What does your daughter usually do when you go there?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• wow you have more in your family town that we have out here we have 3 churches ,6 take outs places,2 coffee shops and all closed on sundays ,if don't like going to your family then why go you seem so down about it ,it could be last time you see them ,if my parents where alive to day i would spend ever wake moment with them ,and daughter will only be bored unless you make it boring find something to do bring pictures talk about growing up there play games ,just have fun
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I live in a town of 850 ( not 850,000) during the summer the kids hang out at the school gym or football field.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 5:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Having a friend would be good for her and help her not be so bored. Is there a local swimming pool? Movie theater? Check out to see if there are any events going on in the area. If this is your vacation, venture out and see other places close by. I went with a friend once to a boring little..I mean little town, lol and we played nonstop rummy games most of the time!
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 7:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Get out there and explore and take the kids with you. It is under your control now that you are an adult. Have fun!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2010