fleas are driving my dog and me nuts, how to get rid of them?

iv had my dog for two years now and never had a problem with fleas until recently. now i cant get rid of the lil feckers, helllllllp.

otoole

Asked by otoole at 11:45 PM on Nov. 1, 2010 in Pets

• ADVANTIX...a monthly dose of anti-flea and tick gel that you put on your pet's lower neckline, just beyond his collar,will prevent any fleas or ticks from sticking to pets. BUT if you have them NOW, better ask a Vet what is the safest flea killer. Ask the Vet for the Avantix too. There are other brands of it too. IMPORTANT to keep your pet healthy. and you.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• My Aunt used lavendar. It seems to keep the fleas away. Try buying some lavendar dog wash, lavendar house spray and that should work. Also, when we went to the pet store the lady told us to use Dawn dish soap on the dog and buy borax for the rugs. You will need to leave it on the rugs for 24 to 48 hrs and you will need to keep your pets away from it. It's toxic. And then you need to vacuum like 2 to 3 times a day for about a wk. It works and then use the lavendar maybe to keep those pests away!!
    BobiSue106

Answer by BobiSue106 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• If you use a peoples shampoo with a high PH balance (such as Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo) on the dog and yourselfs as a shower gel the fleas can't live. Steam clean your carpets at the same time. You can also put a white piece of paper on the floor and point a light bulb close to it turned on and they will go to the paper they are attracted to the heat. Then spray the shit outta the little shits!! I feel for you!! Hope this helps. Call avon get some skin so soft, safe for everyone and U can put it on the dog too. this works GREAT!!!
    mamann

Answer by mamann at 11:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• lavender, really?? ill try anything at this stage. iv tried garlic in her food and flea shampoo and flea drops and i comb her everyday with a flea and tick comb dipped in dishwashing soap. i often get one or two out of her coat. its driven me nuts and i know its driving her nuts, the poor thing.
    otoole

Comment by otoole (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Uhhh, I dont know bout that Lavendar stuff.
    Advantix KILLS the fleas.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• where do i get advantix?
    otoole

Comment by otoole (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have the same issue with my poor kitty. I have tried two doses of frontline, baths in veggie oil and pert plus and baby wash, we have tried flea powder on the carpet, and I am about ready to shave the mangy beast. He is allergic to the fleas and he is loosing his hair and he has scabs all over his body. The vet has given him cortisone shots and it is just not helping.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:17 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• oh, poor baby.
    otoole

Comment by otoole (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Dawn works great to kill the fleas. But you need to take care of the fleas in the house too or nothing is going to work. I had a big flea infestation and the dawn, borax and lavendar did the job.. Also my mom only used lavendar body soap and she never got bite while the rest of us always found flea bites on us.. Look it up!!
    BobiSue106

Answer by BobiSue106 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Get a flea prevention from the vet frontline, Advantage or advantix,comfortis or revolution are the best and safest out there. Stay away from the ones at the store like Hartz those are dangerous and don't work.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2010