how do I get my kids to sleep through the night and stay in bed?

I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old. my 3 year old wanders over to our room every night and my 2 year old wakes up around 3am every morning. They go to bed around 9pm but, i need to read them stories and stay in the room until they sleep or they scream. We did have a good routine with my older one but, I suffered from some medical problems over the past 18 months and we fell out of our routine. Any suggestions would be great.

amysand

Asked by amysand at 2:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I havent been in your situation, but i think that maybe if you just work on getting back to your schedule you had they will remember and will get back to it. It will probably take you some time, but im sure if you work at it you will be able to get back to a good schedule that works for you. maybe use a version of sleep training... read the story, kiss them tell them good night and leave the room. if they cry let them cry for 5 mins and go in ,dont pick them up or friendly talk them. just tell them its bed time put them back in be then leave again. then increase from 5 mins to 10 then 15 and so on. Or you could start a rewards system... reward them for staying in bed and going to bed like big boys. sorry i just threw out everything i could think of. Good luck and i hope you find something that works for you! :)
    briead

Answer by briead at 5:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• my boys are only 18 mo a part,and they used to be a pain the the butt to get to bed, and too keep them in bed. Unfortunetly, its not easy to redirect this behavior. First, giving in to the screaming, only send the message that if they scream, you come back. Put them to bed, walk away. If they scream, don't go back. If they come out of their room, take them back and put them back in bed withotu saying anything to them. When your 2 yr old wakds up at three, walk back into the room and lay him back down without saying a word and walk away. You may have to do this several times, and it may take a week or two.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:23 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• my kids are 3 and 4 1/2 and i have this same problem
    jkmommy2

Answer by jkmommy2 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2008