How can I get a baby's gums to quit hurting without using Oragel?

I have tried Oral Gel and teething rings and cold wet wash clothes and even using damp wash clothes with ice cubes in them!

babyrose09

Asked by babyrose09 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• teething tablets...or dependent on how old the child is...you can let him or her suck on a piece of ice. i just get a large piece that they cant fit entirely into their mouth and rap in in a wash rag...because they will eat paper towel...and let them chew and suck at it. normally ill give some infant tylenol first and by the time their tired of the ice the tylenol has kicked in...and ive never met a baby who didnt like ice.
    kaitybuggsmomma

Answer by kaitybuggsmomma at 12:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I was always told to dampen the washclothes and then freeze them for the baby to gnaw on. My daughter loved frozen waffles (dont heat em up, just gave them like they are) of course that may not work depending on how old your baby is. You could try putter her bottle nipples in the fridge to get them nice and cold before a feeding (although some babies dont like it, my first daughter hated it, second loves it). If you go to the pharmacy they have tablets you can dissolve into the formula that are 100% natural (holistic I think they call it)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• The fingertip toothbrush was a lifesaver for me when mine was little.
    xv35ballx

Answer by xv35ballx at 12:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have tried the ice. It just don't seem to work with her. She is 13 months
    babyrose09

Comment by babyrose09 (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Popsicles is how we got through, We used the one's in plastic and wrapped that in a washcloth so her little hands would not freeze. we opened it and let her go she loved it... hope you find something

kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 12:34 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• She loves popsicles, but she takes the wash cloth off of it and she loves eating them but when she is done with the first one she would want another one and she wouldn't eat her dinner or nothing
    babyrose09

Comment by babyrose09 (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I used a mesh food thing (looks like a pacifier but with mesh instead of a rubber nipple) that you can put frozen foods or cold foods inside. I tried the orajel, teething tablets, all that stuff. She'd rather suck on frozen blueberries and yogurt chunks.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:41 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Teething tablets were a godsend for me. They hated orajel, so it just made it worse. The teething tablets taste like milk, and desolved instantly, and after a few minutes they had stopped being fussy.
    SonyaaaS

Answer by SonyaaaS at 12:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• After 5 kids, I would go with the wet wash cloth that you freeze or the mesh product then you can put whatever frozen item you want in it. It depends on the baby which one they will prefer. Good luck, I hope something works.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 1:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I used teething tabs for my son.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2010