Why do Drs tell us not to eat when we're in labor?

Im always hungry. And I love food. Not eating makes me sick. Im thinking about eating anyways.

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have no idea why they tell you that. I ate anyway. What are the honestly going to do? Kick you out of the hospital when you are in labor? Lol.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Because you may vomit during labor, OR if you need an emergency C section it's safest to not have food in your stomach.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Usually it is because just in case you have an emegancy and they have to sedate you for a csection, you won't vomit up any food. Kinda like the reason you can't eat so many hours before surgery.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• What music momsaid. Vomiting and the potential for a c-section.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Convenience --for them

It's actually *very* important the laboring Mothers get the nutrients and hydration they want.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I'm all for nutrients, but how is it convinient for them if I don't aspirate on my own vomit during an emergncy C section? They are safety reasons, not convenience.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• But when I dont eat I get dizzy and nauseus and sometimes vomit (which hurts like hell when your tummy is empty).
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Early labor it's great to eat, by all means. They just don't encourage it during heavy labor. This is what my OB told me.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I can't say...I never tried to eat during labor. I will, however drink all the water I want. Screw ice chips. lol. I have heard from many friends who work in the field though that chances of throwing up anything during labor is very high. Doesn't sound like fun to me....
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• what doulala said! it's convenience, just like laying on your back while pushing.
    also, why would we not need to eat during labor? you need food for energy.
    there is a push to change this and some hospitals have changed their policy, but it's still a long time before every hospital changes their policy.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2010