foaming and stringing poop

My niece is having werid poop. it like stringing and some times foam sorry if tmi and an awful smell any ideas what this maybe ?

shaynaj

Asked by shaynaj at 2:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is she? If she's a young, breast-fed infant, it could be she's getting too much foremilk (happened with my youngest). If she's older, it could be something she ate - I once ate some strawberries that were in juice that had started to ferment, and (tmi) they came back out a little foamy. And by stringy...like slimy, or what? Does she have a cold or anything that it could be excess mucus coming out? It could be some funky virus causeing both problems, but if it's gone on for a while, or goes on for a while, she needs to see a doctor, because neither of those is normal on a regular basis,
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Depends on the age of the baby. Like the pp said it might be too much foremilk. Lactose problem... or a malabsorption problem.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• she is 2 months old and she not brestfeed
    shaynaj

Answer by shaynaj at 7:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Is this a change from her normal stool pattern? How many hours or days has it been like this? If so, try to remember if something has changed as far as what she is eating: many things can affect stool, from how clean (or dirty) a bottle is, to a stomach bug. If your little one develops a fever or seems to lose her appetite, I think its time to call her doctor to have her checked out. Good luck!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 1:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2008