My son has a rosie rash like patch on his cheeks.

I am calling the pedi tomorrow but was wondering what it could possibly be. DH said it looks like a rubbing burn (like when he rubs his face on his stuffed elephant or blankie). I got some eczema cream for babies and tried it tonight. I will see if it helped in the morning. Is there anything else that might help? He is not crying or anything in fact right now at 11 pm he is up talking, laughing, and singing to us here in the livingroom. No fever or irritability...he is 6 months old

4_28_bbboy

Asked by 4_28_bbboy at 1:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is he teething?? My son got what is called "teething cheeks" his cheeks get red and dry every time he gets a new tooth. The thing I found that worked best on them is nipple cream for breastfeeding! From what his pediatrician says, it's actually eczema... but we only have problems with it during teething.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:37 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Does it look like his cheeks were slapped? Has he had a fever in the last few weeks even though he's fine now? If so it may be fifths disease. My son had it. It started out as an ongoing cold with a nagging low grade fever for a few weeks. Then the red cheeks then an alligotor looking rash spread. The rash and red cheeks is the end of the cycle.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• no fever ever...thats what I checked for first and he has not had one prior to this...it is kinda dry but very very red
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 2:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Then it's probably chronic dermatitis. Eczema is a tricky thing to deal with. Also, watch foods with citrus, they tend to cause outbreaks. Strawverrys and OJ were the worst!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:08 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• no fruits or citrus yet...do not want to introduce solids until he is much older because of allergy fears...
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 2:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• could be eczema or rosacea which are very common in babies (even 6 month olds!) - and as long as it's not bothering him and spreading everywhere, then just call the ped and see what they say
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Is it cold where you live? My sons cheeks get rosie from colder air on them. I use a dry skin cream and it clears it right up.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My son is 6 months and has been getting the same rash. I took him to the pedi and they said its Exema but I think its something else. It comes and goes, one day he will be all clear and the next he is all broke out on his cheeks around his mouth. He has been getting this for 2 months now and i think I finally figured what was causing it. he uses 2 different kinds of Nukkies, the MAM brand makes him get this rash. I took them away all this week and his face has been clear since. Maybe try switching niuk brands.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Teething...the Dr said he is teething and then rubbing his face too much becasue he is frustrated. She gave me a script for some cream and he should be fine,. We have to try (the key word "try") and keep his face dry...lol...Thanks ladies!
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2010