What are you doing to teach your child about living on their own?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 3:08 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• depending on their age but , i started right around 13 , give them chores and allowance , and then make a wish list , and a need list . like movie tickets , and cool shoes . do all your chores with out being asked and do them well . save half of their allowance money needed for movie tickets you pay the other half - reward , . cool shoes set aside money every month for the new shoes , then when you need to buy the shoes you have the money , no " set aside money " ? cheap payless shoes mom picks out . and consequences you both can live with !!! they dont do their laundry , they dont have anything to wear . they dont save money for gas , they cant use the car. they dont come home on time the alarm comes on at six am . etc.
    nanafor5

Answer by nanafor5 at 8:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• We constantly explained everything to them about daily life while they were with us. They always knew what was happening and how things were handled. Taught them to handle money and be debt free and told them to always ask questions.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• That came on tooooo fast. When my oldest was 17 he signed delayed entry papers into the Marine Corp. That was just over a year ago. I don't know who does his laundry, what he eats or much of anything else. He does tell me when he spends money. I guess that is what we talked most about...saving and managing money properly. I know he is getting fed and staying clean. Now I just have 2 more to go.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 5:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I do the basics, like making sure they know how to cook, do their own laundry, (which I do most of anyway but they know how to do it) and clean. lol Then it is just making sure they know right from wrong. We have tried to give them a well rounded life, letting them try new things and be involved in the community. We are active in church also. My son wants to join the Navy next year on the delayed entry program also. So my time with him is winding down.
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 7:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Teach them the glory of independence.

Answer by older at 8:00 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Honesty, morality, financial responsibility to name a few.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• As "teachable moments" arise, we talk to our kids about things like balancing a checkbook, budgeting, dealing with people in all kinds of situations (salespeople, waiters, friends [good and not-so-good], love, competition), jobs v/s school, the power of being honest. I think a common theme we try to keep going with our kids is the notion that 'all things must pass'. We tell them to enjoy the good stuff while you have it, and don't sweat the bad...neither will last.

They have always known that we expect them to graduate college, and be independent (eventually); but they can ALWAYS come to us if they need to.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• talking honestly to them about the responsibilities of adulthood. we're also teaching about living debt free, staying away from credit cards, car payments, etc... living within their means.
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 7:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010