breastfeeding and formula........?

im not producing enough milk for my lil man and he wont latch on but knowing the benefits of breast milk i'm pumping and giving it to him in bottles. the problem is i dont have enough so im trying one week formula as i pump and save all my milk for the next week and switch back and forth. seems to be ok except i think the formula upsets his stomach alot. anyone ever had to do this? suggestions?

Dynamight

Asked by Dynamight at 3:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't do that to his system! He will have stomach issues if you go all one thing one week, and all another the next. Have you met with a lactation consultant? They can really help with latch issues. A La Leche League meeting can really help, too.
    If you have to bottle feed both, give him breast milk at one feed, then formula the next. But don't shock his system by totally separating them by week.
    Please, please, please see a lactation consultant! They really made a difference for us. It took 6 weeks to get DS to latch properly, but it was worth it.
    Lots of luck to you!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:51 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i did work with the lactation consultant at the hospital alot but nuthn seemed to work. i guess i could try to see one again. Also at first i was switching at every feeding but it seemed to be much more upsetting.
    Dynamight

Comment by Dynamight (original poster) at 3:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Try another LC. I saw a few, and I got something different from each one.
    What is he doing that the latch isn't working? Is he refusing?
    DS would take an hour sometimes to latch at first. I would just sob trying to get him on. It takes a lot of patience and persistence, but it can be done.
    Also, there's a book called "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". It's the La Leche League's "bible". It's AWESOME, and can likely give you some great advice.
    Make sure you surround yourself with support while you guys are figuring this one out, mama. It takes a village for a reason. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I didn't produce enough for my daughter either and my/her doctor (family practice) had me supplement after each feeding with formula and then pump between feedings to try and up my supply. In the end it just decreased more and more and after two weeks she hadn't reocvered her birth weight so she was strictly formula fed and my second, my boy, was formula from the get go.
    Also it may be the formula. My babies didn't do well with milk based but do just great on soy. If you talk to your pediatrition about it he can likely help you with a plan and possibly hook you up with samples to figure out what to feed as you supplement.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 5:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• When you breastfeed only...does he have at least 6 wet diapers a day? If so, then you ARE making enough.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Contact the La Leche League and see if you can get some help! Get that baby to latch on and then you won't have to worry about issues with formula.

My second born was VERY impatient. If he didn't latch on immediately he go SO frustrated and angry. Then it was really difficult to get him to latch on because he was so worked up about it. Even now he is my most impatient child. :D He gets super frustrated when things don't work out IMMEDIATELY!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It may be the type of formula upsetting baby's stomach...I tried to breastfeed exclusively with my first son, and got almost no sleep. The first formula I tried-he would throw up the entire bottle. I switched to a soy formula and he slept all night ever since. The soy smells bad, but I have been told it is the closest to breast milk...Good luck. I would alternate formula every 2-3 feedings. My youngest is 5 months old and only nurses 2-3 times a day - first thing in morning, after work and at bedtime. He has no problems switching from breast milk to formula.

Good luck!!!
    deedle74

Answer by deedle74 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't switch back and forth like that.... give him what you pump during the day and just top him off with formula. If the formula is upsetting his stomach, talk to his pediatrician about which formula to try... he might need something special.
    He might do better with the formula if you mix it with BM too.... so lets say he usually takes a 4 oz bottle... try 2 oz formula and 2 oz breastmilk.
    Have you tried herbals to increase your supply?? I thought more milk plus worked really well.
    And do you have a hospital grade pump and is it working well?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Give the formula fresh. Your milk has the highest level of antibodies when your baby takes it directly from your breast, and is second-best when it is freshly pumped. The longer it is stored, the more of these antibodies are deactivated. Freezing destroys even more antibodies. (Your frozen milk still provides excellent nutrition and protection for your baby, just not as good as directly from the breast or freshly pumped.)

Have you tried breastfeeding directly? It is easier to bring in and maintain a full supply that way.

What kind of pump do you have? That can make a big difference. See this video on pumping more: Maximizing Pumping Output

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• A big question if you're not making enough is are you drinking a lot of water? Low water intake will definitely cause you to not make enough. You should pretty much walk around with a cup of water all day. Also, do you have "letdown", where your milk starts to flow? You should feel that if all is going well. Are your breasts overly full and tight when your baby tries to latch on? If so, you may have to milk them before to soften them up enough for him to latch on. Remember, the less you nurse, the less your body will produce and vice-versa. Even if you are going to give him a bottle, try to put him to the breast first. This will tell your body to continue to produce. And, if you're at all stressed or distracted, this can be a big problem. You need to be somewhere quiet and uninterrupted if possible, so you can focus and enjoy the moments together! Take care and God bless.
    MaeMae65

Answer by MaeMae65 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 5, 2010