Where do I look for answers(on austism)

Know that we have been dxwith austism I'm not sure where to start I have him in special ed at school but also have an in home trainer that says we should get several therapist to help him and we have private insurance but where do I start to see if I can get other assistance for him. He is none verbal but likes to scream, he is starting to say single words but I'm so lost with all of it not really sure what to do.

Colinsmom4

Asked by Colinsmom4 at 5:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly, it depends on your area. Different states have different set ups in order to find services. I would start by seeing if there is a support group in your area. Other moms who have been in your shoes might be able to give you the best answers on how to navigate the system where you live.
    I would also check out the Autism Society of America for local chapters and Autism Speaks. They are both good sources of information.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would also like to add my support. I've been where you have been and I understand how overwhelming it can be. But I would also like to add encouragement. My son didn't start talking until he was four and now he doesn't shut up! :) I won't say it has been an easy journey, but it has been a rewarding one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:36 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Contact your local Autism Society if you have one. Ours here has been the biggest source of information! In our state (NC) there is a program where they can get non income based Medicaid - I think there is a similar program in most states. My son gets 25 hours/week of one on one time with a worker who works on specific goals we have set up, and Medicaid pays for therapy that most private insurances won't or they will pick up your copay which can get hefty when you start to add them up. My son with autism is 13, he didn't start talking until he was 5 but I'm thrilled with how far he has come. Take it slow and remember that he is still a child, make sure he gets playtime in addition to all his therapies!

Answer by missanc at 9:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2010