Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Renters Rights

We have been having a problem with people coming into our complex and sitting in the back corner (right outside our bedroom windows and drinking, doing drugs, being loud, etc. I know what they are doing cause not only can I hear them, but they are leaving all their trash behind. If the cops DO show up they always take an hour or more and the people are USUALLY gone by then. Once they caught a group. I think the problem is that there is no security light over here and since it is so dark it is ideal for them. When I talked to the complex office their solution was to lie to the cops and say they are breaking into cars. I am not lying to the police cause then they really will never call. I also don't want to call every night cause when it is something serious (hopefully never) they might blow it off. There is only the apartment above me over here and me. The office told me they can't put a security light over here cause (cont...)


Asked by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 24 (19,949 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Google your county and then Apartment Association attached. Call them or write a letter. If your apartment office has not done anything about it, then take it to their corporate office or management company. They should have a website. Continue to call the police. See if you can get one or some of your neighbors to complain as well to the police, to the Apartment office, and the corporate office. This is your home, you have signed a lease and deserve to feel secure but sometimes it takes your community to pull together and not allow it. If nothing gets done I would consider moving.

    Answer by Momforhealth at 10:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • "It might bother people" Yet there are security lights on other buildings exactly where I want them. As a renter do I have a right to feel secure? This is not a bad neighborhood. I could rent a house in the city for what I pay for my little apt here and I think that is part of what frustrates me. Does anyone know where I would start to find out what I can do about this?

    Comment by MooNFaeRie30 (original poster) at 6:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • Most cities have renters' rights offices...

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • Why don't you put a clip on spotlight out there yourself.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 7:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • Does the place that you live in has a Home owner Assoc?.. If they do attend a meeting or call the office and express your concern... Otherwise.. You can put an extra light there... how much can that cost?

    Answer by Monica655 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 2, 2010