Training a dog to toilet on walks?

My 4 month old cocker spaniel boy is fully housetrained now and goes out into the back garden to toilet, however we want him to start going whilst we're out walking?

Often he'll hold it in until we get home and he rushes to the back door and stands waiting for me to open it, and then he'll go. Im not really sure what to do!

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:37 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Pets

• I'll give you a bumb. This is very unusal. Most male dogs let a little out all over everything they smell along the walk.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My Jack Russell gets into sniffing so much that he seems to forget why we are walking. Don't let not doing his business on the walk be an option. Remind your dog with key phrases you use like " pee" and "outside". Usually we will stand in the yard if the walk is over and I'll tell him we are not going in until you pee and I just stand there. He knows I mean business when I just stand there because there's not a bunch of fun stuff to sniff. When he does his business inside make a very big deal about it and reinforce with the words "pee" and "outside". Be consistent with whatever approach works for you.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• bump!
    little.knickers

Comment by little.knickers (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• what's wrong with him going to the bathroom in your yard? Unless I misread something... I use a clicker and always keep treats on me and it's worked wonders for my dogs. I'd rather mine just go in my own yard so I don't have to carry a pooper scooper on walks and clean up someone else's yard.
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 10:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I train mine to go on command, just like anything else. Start out by giving the "duty" a name, likes "pees and poos" or "potty" or whatever you want to call it (especially consider that other people are going to hear you say this to the dog while you are out on your walk !). I tell mine "potty". Once they understand that "potty" is the name for what they are doing (you will know they understand when you can go out in the yard, tell them to "potty" and they do it right away. Then take them out on the walk, wait for an appropriate spot, and tell them to "potty". If they don't go right away, then while on your walk, you can wait for them to go and then confirm for them that they have gone "potty" and praise them, but if they have learned what the word means, they should "go" right away for you. Mine have to learn this, or I would stand outside of hotels at shows for hours instead of minutes - LOL !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My 2 males go multiple times on their walks, pee & poo, and then still run out the doggie door to do some more when we get home.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 5:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2010