How to train a pup not to bark at other dogs?

My cocker spaniel puppy is 4 months old, and is well behaved in most areas and has an excellent tempermant. However if he hears another dog bark he barks back and softly growls under his breath. he does the same if he hears a dog on the TV. We have 2 older dogs but he has never had a problem with them and they do not react to barking dogs. I want him to be like that. I have a few ideas but im not sure which one to go with so i thought i'd ask first so i dont try everything and confuse him!

He doesn't go to attack other dogs, if he encounters them he gets excited and wants to play, but if they bark behind a fence etc he will bark back.

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Pets

• You walk up to the dog and gently (but firmly) hold their mouth shut, turning their face towards yours. And firmly say "No". This will show them what you're directing your dislike towards and help them understand not to do it again. You can also just place your hand under their chin and turn their head towards you to say "No", but I find closing their mouth works best.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• bump
    little.knickers

Comment by little.knickers (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• 1 of my cocker spaniel/poodle dog, Sugar, barks all night for absolutely no reason. It drives me crazy. I think it is separation anxiety. Bark Off does not work. Ear plugs do.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 5:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2010