Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you win custody of your children back from your ex husband

I lost custody of my children because I moved out of state without asking permission from the state first and so my ex husband was awarded custody. How can I win the courts over to get custody back? Or how can I prove his father and step mother unfit?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • Walk the straight and narrow. Seriously- don't hang out with shady people, and don't engage in ANY remotely shady activities. Look good, get a good job. That would be a big push in the right direction. You gotta sell yourself and make it clear that your children are your number one priority.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

  • I don't know what to say but get a lawyer. If you truly believe your ex is unfit it will have to be proven. GL

    Answer by Christinemg0813 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

  • You can go back to the courts and request that you be given back your fair share of the custody, but as the first poster said you need to start off with getting a good job, making yourself presentable, do not engage in ANYTHING that might even remotely be seen as shady, make a good home for your kids, and then make your appeal (with the help of a lawyer) . From there you make a he not allowing you to see your kids? Is he not picking them up/dropping them off on time? Do you notice anything that can be considered neglect, do your kids tell you anything about life at home that could be considered neglect? Keep a running record of EVERY little thing, no matter how trivial it may seem, including him being rude/disrespectful/threatening on the phone or in person. After that list builds for a few months then take it to your lawyer and get the ball rolling in the courts to start fighting for custody back of your kids.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

  • Are the father and stepmother unfit parents, or are you being spiteful and you just want them to lose custody because you broke the rules and lost your children? If they do well taking care of the children, then proving them "unfit" isn't the answer.

    Prove yourself "fit" and willing to follow the rules and you can probably gain shared custody.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.