what is a good sippy cup to put milk in so the my 16 month old son will stop the bottle

jomama2467

Asked by jomama2467 at 7:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1. the one he picks out at the store . 2 with a soft drinking spout that he has to sort of suck the milk out . 3. only give water in his bottle nothing else . period . no matter how much they cry . after a week or two the bottle should disappear . used this with all my kids worked very well .
    nanafor5

Answer by nanafor5 at 8:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Anyone that he picks out. Like nanafor5 said, ONLY water in the bottle.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree.. let him pick one out that has his favorite characters or something that catches his eye. Talk to him before going to the store and get him excited about picking out a "big boy" cup! If you'd like to pick out your own as a backup there are the kind that "look" like bottles but they have the attachments to turn them into sippies. Best of luck =)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:24 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree to let him pick it out but I dont agree with the soft spout...they are too much like a bottle. Try to find one with a hard spout, the take and toss ones are nice and inexpensive or one with a rim (platex makes one) that he will have to learn to tip. I used to the straw cups for my daughter and it made it harder for her to go to a regular cup because she had to learn to tip it up to get a drink.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Depends on what they like. For example, I wasted a bunch of money on sippy cups with valves and my son hated all of those. We had good luck with the First Years Take N Toss cups and later with the Munchkin Mighty Grip straw cups. The straw cups are harder to keep clean, but if you rinse them right away and use a small brush to wash them they will last a long time. I find the Dr. Brown bottle brushes work great for straws too. I think they do sell replacements straws at some stores as well.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:27 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I like the nuby cheap ones. They are BPA free and aren't like a bottle. In my opinion you don't want his sippy cup to be like a bottle because you're just transfering him from one form to another. We also didn't do straw cups until he mastered a regular cup. I'm so NOT being a bitch here, but I would have broke the bottle before he turned one. I wouldn't give him the bottle anymore.. even with water in it. Tough love. But let him pick the cup out so he feels like a big boy. Throw a little party.
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 6:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010