Daycare Photography

I'm working through an idea I have to offer photography services for the holiday season in my home studio for home daycare providers and the kids they watch. I would waive the sitting fee and offer my regular prices on prints - albums would be 15% off. In return, the daycare would get a portion of the sales. Do you think the idea would take off? What would make it more attractive?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 7:54 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's a good idea but I don't see how the provider would get all the kids there safely. Maybe offering separate appointments for each family to come to you on their own but still give the home care provider the proceeds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• At the daycare where I work, a photographer comes to us. I don't understand from your post if you expect the daycare providers/kids to come to you. I don't know how that would work. (In CT all children must be in 5 point restraint harnesses or the "proper" carseat for their age/wt to travel during daycare). But your deal sounds good.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes - I would have the lighting and backdrop set ups at my home. I have my own kids, too. It would be a child safe environment and the provider would be with them the whole time. They'd just have to get here! :)
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I'm not sure that the providers would go for the travel when there are other photographers that will come to them, other than that it is a good idea and I think since you are giving back that is an incentive.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree with kjrn79. The problem is that they will have to come to you. In most states, the requirements for this would not only be getting them there in the proper way, but also once they are there, your home would have to meet all the state requirements as well. I think you would be better off in getting the customers if you could go to them. Do you have any family that could watch your kids while you did the photos?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• That would be very complicated for the provider to pack up "her" kids and go to you. Unless you're willing to come to their homes, I don't think it would work, sorry.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i think if you want to make it attractive to daycare providers, especially in-home providers who may not have the corporate sponsorship to own a bus or appropriate van for transporting children safely, you would have to go to them. i doubt they would care that you have children and don't want to tote all your stuff around. that part would be your problem, not theirs. i'm not trying to sound mean, just honest, because there are bigger chains and other photographers who will make site visits to get the sale. if you want the offer to be attractive, you need to be mobile and flexible.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 8:11 AM on Nov. 2, 2010