Whatcha think of this sign?

Seeing more 'progress' ladies oh my!

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5) — In an already nasty election year, outspoken San Francisco defense attorney Tony Serra has unfurled a huge banner in front of his building near busy and tourist-heavy Broadway and Kearny streets in North Beach, stating “F*** Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina.”

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 8:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well that's just super classy. I have nothing against foul language and use quite a bit of it myself, but I also try to respect the fact that it is offensive to other people and I don't use it out in public or around children, my own or anyone else's.
    Or put it on a big yellow sign for the world to see.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:41 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think this goes back to the Citizens United ruling--there are no holds barred in this election. It's obscene the amount of money that's being spent, often times by corporations who don't need to disclose anything. Ultimately with that ruling, the citizens will be represented by corporations, who will really be the winners in this election.

If the corporations have undue influence in this and future elections, the citizens lose their voice.  It's a nightmare come true. 

His wording is crass, but Serra's message is spot-on.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:00 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Unfortunately, his message was lost in the choice of words he made, but I do agree with the intent behind it.  For those who don't like to click on links, here's what the creator of that banner had to say about it:

Serra told CBS 5 he was upset at the amount of money being spent by the wealthy Republican candidates in their efforts to get elected California governor and U.S. Senator.

“To utterly condemn someone, that’s what the “F” word means to me, and that’s the way it’s intended, but I think they’re a threat to democracy itself. Capitalism cannot buy public office,” Serra said in an interview.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Freedom of speech. Neither side has the monopoly on good taste, I've seen signs just as bad (and worse) at tea party rallies.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I suppose if it works for you to just focus on the one word, and not think about what's behind it, then bully for you.

I think attention needs to be drawn to this issue. He used foul language, which is definitely not my favorite way to grab attention, but to say, "I don't care what the message was" is to ignore a very big--and dangerous--issue. We, the citizens, are losing all control of our country, and not to government, as so many cry out about. We're losing it (or have lost it) to big money and big corporations. It may have always been that the ones with the money have had the bigger voice, but we are losing all of our voice.

Maybe the use of a four-letter word negates the whole message for you, but I think that it can be a conversation-starter for those who can get past the f-bomb and see the other "f" word--frustration--it represents.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• The sign shows how classless he is. He can put up what he wants he has free speech.   If he wants to be seen as an angry bitter loser that is his right. 

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 9:37 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i don't care what his message or intent was, its totally classless and immature to use such language on a public display...adults aren't the only ones who can see it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• We, the citizens, are losing all control of our country, and not to government, as so many cry out about. We're losing it (or have lost it) to big money and big corporations.

THIS^- Not that I agree with public profanity- at least he didn't have a child carrying a sign with that message standing in front of his building!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Freedom of speech?

Answer by older at 8:36 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• and what do you think of the fact that Whitman hasn't voted in ANY elections in 20 years??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:00 AM on Nov. 2, 2010