Is my 4 1/2 year old advanced?

I just want some feedback from other parents if they think my 4 1/2 yo is advanced and if they have similar traits in their children. My dd has learned to do simple addition by herself, she can add 2 single digit numbers up to a sum of about 15 and she is always asking me to give her math problems so she can do "homework" like her older 8 yo sister. She goes to preschool but she did not learn this there.

myrrha68

Asked by myrrha68 at 9:02 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not really, most younger siblings like to do "homework" with older siblings and adding single digit numbers isn't difficult. It is good that she can do it because they don't start teaching it until K but, your average 4 year old can add two numbers together, if they are taught how.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• But, if you want to continue with "homework" for her you can look up sight-words for preK and start teaching her to read.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:08 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• That sounds normal to me. I was a preschool teacher for 10 yrs and our 4.5yr olds learned that in our program. Siblings are the best teachers, so if she enjoys it, I say keep it going. It will only help her when she enters school next year.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think kids are amazing, they seem to absorb so much. I don't think that your daughter is advanced as much as she is watching her older sibling and wants to be a part of it too. But, if she is interested in learning just keep teaching her. My daughter loved to learn new things and she was reading by the time she went to kindergarten. I think they all have the ability it is just what the parents teach them at that young age.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Not really. My 4.5 year old learns this at his preschool and we teach him at home. Plus, they would not be able to test for giftedness until they around 6-7.  My neighbor's kids is 5 and has been reading full books since she was 4 years old.  They homeschool as well.  I am just now teaching my son the basics of reading. 

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My 4 year old can do simple addition and subtraction too. I don't think it means he's advanced.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010