Have you had a cheesecake go flat?

I just baked a cheesecake for my husband's birthday. When I pulled it out of the oven it was nice and tall but I just went to go take the sides off of the spring-form pan and put it in the fridge after letting it sit to cool for a few and it was all sunken in. I know suffle does this if not exact but I've never had a cheesecake do this before. Did I not bake it long enough or something? I have enough ingredients to try it again (I'm sure this one will taste fine although it doesn't look pretty) but I want to know what I did wrong before making a second attempt.

cat1622

Asked by cat1622 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I think you may have taken it out too soon...perhaps leaving it in with the door open until it's fully cooled before attempting to move it would fix your problem since the cake shrinks & gets a little more solid as it sits? Sounds like it was still just too warm in the middle. Good luck!
    mommamiller0809

Answer by mommamiller0809 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I've never made a baked cheesecake (I'm all for homemade no-bakes), but my SIL has brought many to family dinners, and hers are always lower in the middle than on the edges (sunken). She's an awesome cook/baker...so I'd assume, since hers are always that way, it's normal & fine. If you're going to put any fruit or anything on top, the sunkeness will hold the fruit better, and the fruit will hide the fact that it's not even.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I noticed if I beat the eggs more that my cheesecake is taller, however I'm sure your cake will taste fine. Just put some fruit on top of it.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 4:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2008