probably roseola but want advice please!

My 15 month old son started running a fever Monday evening that lasted 3 days until last night. No other symptoms. This morning I found a few very slightly raised red dots on his neck, face, diaper area, and stomach. He has a lot more now mostly in his neck and diaper area. He's just a little more crabby than usual which I attribute to being extremely spoiled the last few days. Other than that he's fine, running around playing, and acting like himself. He hasn't been to the doc but I did call on Tuesday to ask about the fever. The nurse said there's a lot of stuff going around and if he wasn't better in the next few days to call back and they would check for an ear infection. It's not an ear infection.. and they're closed. Does this warrant a trip to the ER or urgent care clinic? I think not, but just wanted some advice. It does sound like roseola doesn't it?

sjanel

Asked by sjanel at 2:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Kids' Health

• viral rashes in children typically are seen after the fever resloves & are no longer contagious. beit roseola or fifth's disease or hand, foot, & mouth.... if the fever spikes again, if any of the spots look infection (more redness, swelling, drainage, red streaks away from the center), or if the rash persists more than just a few days, then yes, go to the doctor.
    I am a pediatric nurse in a doctor's office.... I've been there for 6 years.... this is the advice I'd give over the phone.
    a.butler

Answer by a.butler at 8:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Any rashes shouldn't be taken lightly. I would if you can bring him in tomorrow. It is possible it could be strep as well. Kids get rashes with strep...If he is still a ting icky in the morning I would bring him in.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 12:22 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• It does sound like roseola. but i would take him in just to be sure.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 2:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• i too am a ped nurse and i completely agree with the answer above
    megancaleca

Answer by megancaleca at 4:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2008