Will I be laughed out of the doctor's office?

I think I'm a bumpaholic. I love to be pregnant. No, seriously, love to be pregnant. I have 4 and financially we are almost spent (no punt intended). As much as I tried to tell myself that no. 4 would be my last, I can't stop thinking about having another. I saw an article online saying this is a real medical condition but hey you can't believe everything you see on the internet. Husband is supportive and says we can have 1 more in a couple years. He and I know as long as I have a time period to start trying again, I will be okay until then. But I know the way I feel won't change once I have baby number 5. Or even if I was lucky enough to have 10. I think I need to talk this over with a psychologist and get their professional opinion. But I think they will say every woman feels this way and there's nothing I can do about it. Do you believe it's a real medical condition? By chance, do any of you feel the way I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you want to talk to someone, do so! Try to find a counselor who you feel comfortable with, someone used to dealing with women, maybe a mother herself. Maybe have a few sessions and see if it is a good fit for you.

But, I don't necessarily think that there is anything wrong with your desire. Biologically we are programmed to reproduce. Our instinct tells us to propagate the species, even if our financial situation and the world as it currently is doesn't match up to that drive.

Do you just love being pregnant, or also love newborns, or also want more kids?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Ive never heard of it but it could be some sort of obsessive behavior. I dont think its from being pregnant. If I had to guess I would say its a deeper underlying issue dealing with attachment disorders. But its never a bad idea to talk to someone if you are concerned about it.
    lsa0919

Answer by lsa0919 at 9:15 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No you wont be laughed out of the office. If it is angging at you their is reason not to tak it out with a professional.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Hmm I don't think it's a condition per-se. I like being pregnant in the beginning (but not now that I'm only a few weeks away from my due date and very uncomfortable!!). People are always going to have to say something if they see you with a wrangle of kids - they'll most likely relate you to Angelina Jolie etc. Hell, my son is 9 months old and I'm 35 weeks pregnant - the kids will be 11 months apart, and we PLANNED that, but some guy in a pharmacy said to me "what, he just looked at you and got you knocked up" - people say some weird, mean, harsh things. You just have to let it slide. If you want 5, 10, 12 kids - then do it! if you can handle it all financially, then who cares what others think!
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• They won't laugh at you, but I would greatly consider the quality of life you can give to that many children. Are you financially able, emotionally able?
    Do you have a car that holds that many car seats?
    Do you have the support system to help you get all those kids to one event to another all at the same time?
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I dont think you will be laughed out, if you have a concern then go and see what they have to tell you. Good luck
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Get your tubes tied? Talk to someone? or just have the babies!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Or it might not necessarily be the pregnancy itself, but the attention that comes with it. I know several people who have gotten pregnant just for the attention. Those poor babies they were having.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 2:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Oh, and, if you just truly want more children and your husband is not opposed, why not set a date for ttc in a few years? That will give you something to plan for and maybe your financial situation will have changed or maybe not and you will have to re-evaluate. So, if you do have a psychological void that you are trying to fill with pregnancy, maybe counseling will help you. If you don't, no harm done by talking to someone.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:26 AM on Nov. 3, 2010