When should I Start baby

Proofing my dd is 9 months old and she is crawling all over the place..... When should i start baby proofing

MelissaMommia

Asked by MelissaMommia at 9:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your child is crawling and has access to most things in the home, then it's a good idea to start now. Crawling babies can get into virtually everything that a walking baby can. Plus, it'll be all proofed by the time she does start walking, so you'll be all set.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:21 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Now! And don't worry, it's never too late to start. Make sure to do the outlet covers and cabinet closers. As she starts walking make sure you put the protector on your front and back doors. You may want to do some kind of a lock on the toliet. I know my son loved playing in the toliet when he was a baby. Oh, and a guard on the stove and knob covers if your LO would be able to reach the knobs. Enjoy this fun time in parenting and your little girl.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Thanks Ladies :)
    MelissaMommia

Comment by MelissaMommia (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• definitely now! the doctor even told me at our 6 month appointment to start baby proofing (he's now almost 10 months, crawling all over and pulling himself up to stand). it's scary lol!
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I'm not a big "baby proofer". A child without impulse control should be glued to someone's side 24/7. My baby proofer is my sling if I need to move around the house. We do just the essentials. Exposed outlets not used and not covered by impassable furniture get an outlet cover. The bathroom door gets closed (toilet locks are silly and really a pain for the adult) -- babies should not be left unsupervised. It's better to move poisonous cleaners to a high shelf if possible rather than relying on a lock, but if you can't do that only that cabinet needs a lock. There is no point in locking a pots and pants cabinet. A cellar door only needs a simple hook lock up high. Move your valuables that you don't want broken. Supervision is key!

Baby gates are your choice but remember that its wise to be sure you teach a baby how to climb stairs and get down safe and not just rely on gates to keep them out.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i only baby proofed the outlets for my first kid and that all i plan on proofing for #2 and #3. If you are a shm then you really dont need to proof (in my opinion) cause you can keep an eye on the baby at all times. also you can teach your child not to touch things which help later when you are at the store or someones house. now if you have a table with corners that can cut the baby bad enough for you take her to the er then i would get a table bumper.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 10:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010