Does your 10 year old have a cell phone?

Don't you think they can be very distracting to children of this age?

For example, my 10 year old god daughter who is in my sons class has a cell phone. Her grades are slipping, she talks back to the teacher, is rude, a bully, exchanges texts w/other boys, has a "BF" and is very "sexually" advanced for her age.
My son and my neighbors daughter (same class) don't have a cell phone. They are still so innocent, straight A students, classroom role models, don't even think about "BF" or "GF" yet, still play with Legos and dolls.

What do you think about this?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:15 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No she doesn't and I don't have one either. I feel they are totally unnecessary and are to blame for the dumbing down of America- people can't even take a shit without texting. It's disgusting.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:17 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No, my 10 yo son doesn't have a cell phone although some of his friends do. My son is a straight A student who doesn't talk back and has no interest in girls. His "friends" that have cell phones are not straight A students and listen to music with explicit lyrics (not allowed in my house - they were teasing my son because he doesn't know who Eminem is).
    At 10, there's no reason for a cell phone. He doesn't go anywhere when he isn't with me or another responsible adult. When he gets to the point that he is staying afterschool and needs a ride home, or when he is going places with friends without adults we will get him a cell phone.

Answer by missanc at 9:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• ALL of my choldren have cell phones. The 20 and 17 year old text. The 14 year old uses it to keep in touch with his friends and me. He has limited texting. My 7 year old can call me, his grandparents, his Father and my boyfriend and his siblings. That's it. No one else.
    He can take it to school but not USE it during school hours. Never had any problems, and the night my daughters car broke down it was great to be able to CALL my son at his cubscout meeting and arrange for him to be taken home. I didn't have the scout leaders cell number, so being able to contact my son was a godsend.
    Tea4Tas

Answer by Tea4Tas at 9:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No. There is no reason for my 10 year old to have a cell phone. When he is not with me or with his dad, he is with his friends who's parents have home or cell phones. And if he really, really needs to talk to his buddy, there's a land line in the hallway, he can pull up a chair and yack all he wants.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:28 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• There is no reason for a ten year old to have a cell phone.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• LOL, I agree with you! I also don't have a cell phone.
    mamaada

Comment by mamaada (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I don't think children that are that age need a cell phone. However, I think the cell phone is only a small part of the problem. My sd also has a cell phone and got it when she was 11!! Also has a computer in her room and she has been caught on facebook bullying other kids. I think is more of an issue of parents not parenting and just giving their children "toys" and stuff to occupy their time so they don't need to parent. My sd gets all kinds of stuff and appreciates none of it and hasn't been taught how to respect the things she has and the people in her life. I personally think a cell phone is for safety, I got my daughter one when she started driving for emergancies I paid for the phone she had to pay for anything else she may have wanted say texting extra minutes etc. It taught her to be responsible
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My 9 almost 10 year old does not have one and will not be getting one anytime soon he doesn't need it.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 9:39 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No, I don't see a reason for her to have one, my younger daughter is 11 and my older daughter 15. Neither one has a cell phone of their own. My older daughter uses mine if she is going somewhere without me or her dad and my younger daughter doesn't go anywhere without an adult who has one, but if she did she could borrow mine as well. Our older daughter will be 16 soon and we are considering getting a family cell plan so that both girls would have a phone, maybe for Christmas. But it would be like all other electronics in our home - school and chores come first.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• as a military family, our kids will all have one by 10 ( my son is 7 and has a firefly) for safety. And if you think that a cell phone is controlling a kds behaior, that is sad! That child is in carge if their own actions! Parents need to teach them how to be responsible wit a cell phone and regulate usage! That is a parents job! ANd for all those stcuk up moms who say there is no reason for a cild to have a cell phone, I want your husband to deploy it Afghanastan, have your child bussed to post for school on a 1 hour each way ride, and have your kids in MANY events through the military and tell me that you wouldnt feelbeter knowing that your child can contact you, or your husband can talk to them anytime! Grow up and realize that not every situation is like yours, and not every child has the same needs!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2010