Student Moved to Alternative School for Comments on Bullying

Student at a Georgia high school is being punished for expressing her opinion.

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/140798/2/Student-says-school-violated-freedom-of-speech- (clickable below)

This is just plain stupid. The SCHOOL is actually doing the bullying! They are punishing her for expressing her thoughts on school bullying. Claiming her words are threats.

I do not see anything in her words that could be remotely viewed as a threat. The school just freaked out because she openly said she was a witch and a bisexual. At least that's my opinion.

Your thoughts? What if this happened to your kid?

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 9:18 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• freaken GA....

Glad i live in the city limits of Atlanta, because south GA has some bigotry issues they need to work out. It's just embarrassing! This note would have been adored had she gone to my Boston High School. I'm sending that highschool a letter telling them how much they suck & that i am so glad that my DD will be attending a much better school.

I cannot believe they moved her to another school. They could not just call in the parents & tell them their concern? This just ticks me off.....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:51 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I don't see what she said as a threat. I see what she said as the perfect wording for what's going on, really. And from a kid in high school! She's got it, and the adults don't. She used herself as an example, describing HERSELF (not using WHO she is as a threat), and asking if she would be protected if SHE was bullied for being WHO she IS. She did not threaten anyone, if fact, she said she does not put spells on anyone, and does not worship satan. So, where exactly, in what words that she said, does anyone get a threat?
    If she was my child, I'd file a huge lawsuit. And make it as public as possible. To humiliate those that decided to 'make an example' out of my child for standing up for herself, and every child that has/is/will be bullied. For every child that has or will commit or try to commit suicide. Because that is exactly what she was doing. AND, she was doing it peacefully. The school is the bully here. Cont
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• she made no threat...she said that bullying leads to suicide's & school shootings...WHICH IS THE TRUTH! She never friggen said "I'm going to shoot kids in school"....she said that bullying can lead to those extremes. She was making a VALID point!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:53 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• NOW would be a great time for a good attorney to contact the parents, and take the case. They need to take it to court. This it total bullshit. This will affect her. She's in high school. This will affect her grades, it's not a damn joke. It's going to affect her self esteem, everything. She's already 'different', already concerned with being bullied. Now she's got adults, f*ucking adults ganging up on her. Just my opinion here. But, again, she said all that very well. She told the truth, she didn't say anything about afflicting any pain, any torture, any illegal act on or at any person/property. She made no threat. None. She freaked them out because she spoke the truth, and the administrators are not doing their jobs. They don't want to be called out on that, so they pushed her out. They made it so she needed to leave. They may not have actually expelled her, but they may as well have.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• my question is..if she's a threat, wouldn't she be a threat to the other school, too? - dullscissors

Yes, she will be (if you take her as a threat), but at least here that's what happens to all of the "threat" children - those who are in trouble, pregnant teens, kids who have so many absences they can't go to regular school, etc. They are sent to alternative school where they go for a couple of hours a day and then roam the streets while the other kids are in school or get jobs (which a lot of them do) and work most of the day. Honestly, I would think with her lifestyle & beliefs she would be at risk attending an alternative school, at least she would here.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Oh, wait. They did. I didn't read the entire article. The damn Board of Education (just about everywhere) is just about as effective as damn Immigration!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If they'd ignored it and she'd committed suicide or killed other students. then the lawsuits would be flying. Schools have to error on the side of caution. If this an overreaction it's a direct result of the recent bullying cases. I don't think she was a threat but only she knows for sure.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• "You people are freakin hysterical......all the while you are in this thread spouting about bigotry and hate and judging you are JUDGING and HATING and being bigoted about those who live in the south. ASSuming and acting like this crap doesnt happen ALL OPVER the country....good job showing yourselves as hypocrites :)"

I am not bigoted about those who live in the south. I LIVE IN THE SOUTH & HAVE FOR A LONG TIME! I worked traveling all over south GA doing appraising. If you want to come meet some of these folks down here, by all means...come along! I've met more racist / prejudice people in the south (at least openly racist) than any other part of the country. More populated places are less prejudice, but go to the country towns..meet people like i did for a living & then tell me the majority of white folks arent prejudice down there....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• http://www.wbir.com/news/article/140798/2/Student-says-school-violated-freedom-of-speech- 

Hopefully that should be clickable ... doesn't always work for me

SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• it worked and that is disgusting. That school is run by idots
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2010