What size bike does your kid have?

My"bonus" daughters will be 4 on Thursday. We are thinking about getting them bikes, but can't decide what size we should get. The 12 inch one seems like a good choice for now, but I think they would outgrow it really fast! The 16inch seems way to big though! lol Any input you have would be great!

KamiB79

Asked by KamiB79 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids had a 12 inch until they were 6, when they got 16 inch bikes. When they were learning to ride without training wheels, having the right size bike was very important. So - if they're going to use training wheels probably not such a huge deal, but if you plan on teaching them to ride without you probably need to get a 12 inch.
    You could get some nice used ones from "Play It Again Sports" or craigslist so you aren't shelling out so much money. Once they get to a 16 inch it will last them a few years.

Answer by missanc at 9:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I am not sure what size the bike is, but it is way too small for my 6 year old. We plan to buy a new one in the spring, since we don't get much use out of the bikes in the winter here.

I would go to a Bike shop and ask some questions. If you can measure your girl's inseam, you should be able to find the right size. Good luck!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My kids don't have bikes anymore (had to leave them behind when we moved because there wasn't room on the truck).  But when we replace them my 4yo is getting a 16".  But she's kind of tall for her age.  12" is already too small for her.  She could almost touch on her sister's 16" with the seat all the way down when she turned 4 (she'll be 5 in April).  That daughter is almost 8 now and the 16" has long been way too small for her but we didn't have the money to upgrade.  The other kids have 20" bikes.

I would go with the 16" and keep the training wheels on.  They will grow into them and you won't have to replace them in a couple years.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010