Rape

What do you think of women who are raped but don't go to the hospital (whether or not they go to the police)?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 9:39 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that they just went through something horribly traumatic and they might be ashamed of what happened, afraid that the hospital or police are going to judge them and not take them serious. Or afraid they will face repercussions from their attacker. I was a SAVI advocate when I was in the navy.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think they're probably really scared of the process of evidence-collecting, hospitals can be intimidating places in any case.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think that they are scared.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i think there is so much going on iside them, that they are not ready or feel that they're not ready to expose what happened to them. For some people, it's easier to ignor than to deal with it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Part of me is angry with them, part of me feels really bad for them. Angry because they are just another unreported victim. Had they gone to the hospital, that rapist maybe could have been caught and prosecuted, as he should be. Angry because they 'let' him get away with it (unless she chose to shoot the bastard instead of going to the hospital and police). Angry because I feel she just, this may sound bad because I have not really been in this situation (really, but kinda), she just hid and let him get away with it! I say kinda because I had a boyfriend that was hurting me. I was crying and asking him to stop. He said he was almost done, and wouldn't stop. I never said anything to anyone, or broke up with him. I'm don't feel so great about myself, either, for that.
    I feel bad for them, bad to say the least, because they have to live with being raped for the rest of their lives. And the shame of it, cont
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• They are scared.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• the shame and all of the other emotions and pain. Wow, I'm such a blabber-mouth this morning. I feel a lot, and can't say it in such few words, I don't know how.
    Raine2001

• I am one of them. I was date-raped while in the Army, and because I had been a character witness in a rape case only a few months before where the victim was mocked and the assailant got off scot free, I was too afraid to do anything about it. There are many reasons for a rape victim to remain silent, but it usually boils down to fear- fear of ridicule, of shame of having to re-live the violation during a trail, of facing the rapist, of not being believed and so on...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Thank you ladies for restoring my faith in womankind. Just all too often I see women on here say that it makes the rape the victim's fault or something if she doesn't go to the hospital and it just infuriates me.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I speak from experience and I can tell you why I didn't I was scared and ashamed because I knew my attacker who was married and my son's baseball coach!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2010