Anyone notice while watching Cake Boss....

... that most of the cakes they do are with rice krispie treats? I understand for things to stand (like a tree, for example) you can't put cake there - but I feel like lately ALL their big to-do cakes are like 85% rice krispie treats!

SweetPieMama24

Asked by SweetPieMama24 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Entertainment

• They do use rice krispies treats a lot. And I've watched other cake shows where they use actual cake for doing similar things.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• yeah...ive seen it a lot also. i wonder if thats the way they actually do it in real life or not. there was that show were the woman used rice krispie's for her model of a girl's hands and feet, i didnt see the other competitor's use it but im sure they did. i guess its just to form and shape things cause i would imagine if you used cake, i would crumble.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I look at most of those cakes like on Ace of Cakes and think most of them are fondant and rice krispy treats and wood. I would not spend thousands on rice krispy treats covered with fondant. I think that the rice krispies and marshmallows make for good shaping.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• They definitely do make for good shaping, but like you said, these customers spend thousands of dollars for these over the top cakes - and they're only like 25% edible probably. Well, you COULD eat the rice krispy treats but... LOL
    SweetPieMama24

Comment by SweetPieMama24 (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I always wonder how they plan on feeding a party of 50 attendees with such a tiny cake (Ace of Cakes). I think I like the cakes on Cake Boss a lot better. But, yes I do notice the penchant for Rice Krispy treats.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 10:38 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• What I really want to know is how much do they cost and who is affording a cake that takes days to prepare. I am assuming that is why there is a t.v. show b/c those bakeries are not making money.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I dont like Ace of Cakes either - they aren't designed nicely and are always small. My stepdaughter knows someone who got a cake from Cake Boss and it was for a sweet 16 - it was a bigger cake but not an over the top crazy extravaganza (but bigger then the normal round cakes you see - kinda like a wedding cake, 3 tiers) - anyway, it was $1000. YEAH! INSANE! So i can only imagine how much the ginormous cakes are that he shows on TV.
    SweetPieMama24

Comment by SweetPieMama24 (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• oh I know. I think it is weird.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2010