What should I do?

We have an Xbobx 360 and a PS3 in our bedroom so that we can lock the doors and the kids can't play unless they are suppose to be playing. Well this weekend they tried picking the lock to get in (they messed up the door but never actually got in). They have been grounded until further notice. How long do you think would be fair? the kids are 11 and 12 years old.

gratefulangel77

Asked by gratefulangel77 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think you're not encouraging your children to be responsible for themselves. You shouldn't have to lock things away from kids that age - they should be developing the maturity to self-regulate by this age. Instead of locking up the games, the kids should be given chores and/or activities that allow them to earn game-time and they should not have so much free time that breaking into a locked room to play games is an option. It should be clear to them how game time can be earned - you don't want them to have the impression that the only way to get at the games is through this type of behavior.

Move the game systems to a public part of the house. Punishment for damaging the door could be re-painting/finishing it. After that, set up a system where they could earn up to 30 minutes of game time per day and work with each child to develop a schedule of how they are spending their time, reducing large blocks with nothing to do.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• One day to think about what they did. But I would tell them if they try that again it go's in the trash!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• One day!?!?!?! They damaged a door trying to play video games! They would be doing chores and no video games for a minimum of ones month! The extra chores would be for them to earn the money to replace the door.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Dr.Donna is right I never locked anything from my kids. You need to teach them how to respect what you say.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2010