Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 14 m.o. son hears sound but does not understand (or say) any words. Audiologist says he has a 'conductive hearing loss'; ENT wants to wait a month or so to see how he is before deciding if he should put tubes in his ears. Should I see a different ENT? He says that in the 'long run' he will not be effected by this speech delay. I'm more worried about the speech delay than the ENT - do I have reason to be worried about this?

Answer Question

Asked by Aitiof7 at 4:51 AM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • You certainly have the right to be concerned about it and a second opinion is always a good thing. I wouldn't tell the second ENT about the first diagnosis.

    In the meantime you can teach your baby some simple sign language skills to help you two communicate better for now.

    Answer by tburnett1105 at 7:34 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • I completely agree with 1st answer. My son had a lot of ear issues and now has tubes and is doing better. I don't understand why he would want to wait if he knows he needs them?? I woul deffiently seek a 2nd opinion and if you are interested in teaching him a lil sign language let me know an I can give you a few websites that are really good. That is the only way my son can cummicate so i have learned a lot about last several months and I would be glad to help out. Good luck!!

    Answer by redtang912 at 7:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • You are his mom, to worry is your job :0) Get the number to Childfind (screening for kids with various delays) and have them come and do an assessment, they can jumpstart your care & get you to doctors who won't keep "poo-pooing" your worries. Not to say they will get him surgery, just refer you to doctors who will take you seriously- and they may even give your son speech therapy sessions for a while. My Youngest of my twins, Connor, was having difficulty learing to speak- wanted to speak martian all the time (twin speak) and was getting frustraited that mommy & daddy didn't understand. Childfind came out to our home & did an assessment and gave him speech therapy sessions at his daycare 1 day a week for 6 weeks, then every other week for another 4 and Connor is up to speed now. Plus it's all free!
    Good luck & great job questioning!

    Answer by clnease at 8:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2008


    Answer by mislady at 8:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • I agree with previous answers. There is nothing wrong with seeking a second or a third opinion. I'm not sure where you live but here in S. Fla we have Child Find which is usually free where they evaluate the child completely. I have a friend who is going through this with her 15 month old and her 3 year old right now. Stay strong and always pray.

    Answer by TIGGA01 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • There are probably reasons he wants to wait, but a second opinion never hurts. My daughter was not barely talking at 21 months and her doctor said to wait 6 months and if she still didn't come around a speech therapist might be a good idea. We know she hears fine I was more worried about cognitive delays. It has only been 10 months and she is saying LOTS so that is probably why the doctor said it won't affect him much.

    Answer by TheEyesDesire at 11:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • I would definitely get a second opinion. This is the time for language acquisition. Waiting around is only taking away time for your child to hear better. I am not an expert on conductive losses, but I do know that conductive losses can be due to fluid as well as other things. It would make sense to me to get rid of the fluid issue to make sure there are not other problems to deal with. It is frustrating when the different doctors don't seem to agree.

    Answer by lauraslefthook at 1:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.