My 9 month old has bronchitis!

My stepdaughter had it 2 weeks ago when she came over (her mother failed to tell us until after the weekend was done, thank you very much!), and I kept telling her to keep her distance from my son (9 months old) and me (pregnant!) and she didn't listen. Now my husband has it and my son - but my son has to be on nebulizer treatments every 4 hours due to this! He has to do one full week of treatment (ending Thursday) - my question is, did any other parents go through this with their kids? I'm hoping this one week of treatment works and he's good and never has to use the mask again, I just need hope from someone's who's been through it before...

SweetPieMama24

Asked by SweetPieMama24 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hello, I definitely know how scary this can be! It's a very helpless feeling, also. My son, Joshua, had RSV when he was about the same age and it got bad enough we had to call the paramedics. We ended up having to do breathing treatments with him, as well as steroids to help his lungs. This eventually cleared him up, but it took about a week and a half. My other son, Nicci, we found out has asthma when his allergies act up. This happened when he was 6, we were out camping in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night! We had to go to the emergency room, with 3 breathing treatments and 2 doses of steroids. I now know what to look for, but it still freaks me out a little whenever I hear a child wheezing. Hopefully, your son will have no further problems after getting past this, but you'll know what symptoms to look for and be ready. In addition to the breathing treatments, did they give you a steroid? Take care!
    MaeMae65

Answer by MaeMae65 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I never caught it from anyone, but when I was growing up I had bronchitis twice a year, both times in the winter. I never had a nebulizer, just antibiotics. I grew out of it when I was older - but then I started getting frequent ear & sinus infections.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Our dd got bronchitis but no one else got it. I have actually never heard of anyone catching it from someone.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 6:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• MaeMae - yes he's on albuterol and the steroid. He has to have the steroid once every 12 hours, and the albuterol every 4 hours. The dr did mention he also had RSV as well. Both are very contagious if someone has it already and they come in contact with him (which, in this case, was my stepdaughter).
    SweetPieMama24

Comment by SweetPieMama24 (original poster) at 7:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010