my dd will be seven in February. she is starting to ask for pierced ears. what is a good age?

she is a good kid and takes care of things. i have a lot of sensitive skin issues esp. with my ears so i have been dreading this day and a little excited too. afriad she will have nickel and metal allergies as well.

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you think she would be responsible enough to take care of her ears and earrings then I say let her do it. If you fear she may have allergies then ask the person if they have sterling silver or hypo-allergenic (sp??) earrings. I remember when I wanted mine done, I was 7 1/2 and my friend just had hers done. I begged and pleaded with my mom and she told me that I could have them done when I was 9, and 2 months before my 9th birthday my mom took me in to get them done. I remember I was so happy she 'gave in' and I had fun picking out earrings.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:28 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Give it a shot. See if maybe you can get some little sterling silver ones for her. I was 6, as were my 2 sisters when theirs were done How fun!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:22 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I had mine pierced a day or two before I was 7. I never really had a problem. I can wear just about any earring that I want. My DD began bugging me at 4. At 4.5 I took her, while warning that it would hurt and once one was done the other would be no matter how much it hurt. That was nearly 7 yrs ago. All she said was "ouch." She has had some issues with certain earrings, but there is no rhyme or reason like a specific metal. Just think, earrings become an easy "go to" gift for her. My DD loves that.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• That is the age that all the girls start getting it done. My daughter, also 7 is scared to do it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2010