Does it bother anyone else that

so many mommas on here can't spell? I totally understand that we all make typos, but c'mon now. Have our schools completely failed us as a society?

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 10:19 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• YES TALuke, yes! I'm glad someone else FINALLY agrees with me! Every time I even mention how bad someones spelling is I get bashed because "they couldn't afford an education" or my favorite "they weren't able to go to 'collage' " lol. I didn't go to college either (yet) but I at least know how to speak and type my own language! "They're just shortening it to make typing faster" typing people instead of ppl doesn't take that much longer! And seriously, why dont you just practice a little bit and learn to type faster!!!!
    Ahhhh, thank you for that rant :D
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:26 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• When I was in school I was one of the best spellers - even won a few spelling bees....... and now when i am typing it is like my fingers type faster than i think and I constantly spell wrong, and use the wrong spellings ( like wear, where, to, too, there, their,)

so it doesnt bother me when things are like that... but if it is liikez dis, iz ralllie bugz moi
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 10:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• "Have our schools completely failed us as a society?"

Yes. Well, yes and no. If you really WANT to, you can learn anything. Our public schools just have a knack for beating the drive to learn out of people. I know it took me a few years to get it back after I was done with school. I guess some never get it back and really don't care. (personally, it's forums like this that taught me HOW to spell... I spellcheck everything and play a game with myself to get no misspellings. I know, I'm weird... but I can spell it! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I'm taking college courses online and it AMAZES me how some of these people made it to college. It also saddens me that I feel these people are going to be on the same level as me when we graduate when they put forth a fraction of the effort.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Typos we can understand but glaring examples of bad spelling are annoying. And,the ironic thing is that some who can't spell do not recognize that a typo is not a spelling error but a typing error. When typing quickly it happens. And, when they spell THEIR, as in "It is their house" but use "It is THERE house"....THAT really bugs me. Or "weather" instead of whether. And some even spell "and" as AN". Example: Mom an Dad.
    IS this happening because the schools don't teach English or because the kids don't pay attention?And,speaking of kids, does it seem that there are many KIDS posting here at Cafe Mom?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No, it's doesn't bother me that much. I don't take this place too serious and I don't consider it a good representation of what I experience IRL.

What bothers me more is when government throws additional money at the education system and doctors it up with feel good curriculum and requires teachers to teach their students to test instead of make sure they know the material. If we took govt. intervention out of education and allowed teachers to teach the material that students need to know (the basics that we are currently failing) we would probably be better off.

JMO

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Er i'm no spelling b queen but I am also worse than usual right now...I have a good excuse.. cm is eating some of my letters.I do not have this issue on other sites.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I blame texting. People think it's okay to take shortcuts and they forget how stupid it looks in a forum.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think it may be a combination of education and texting. Some young people I know only use text talk all the time and it's really annoying. I don't even really like it for texting. Anyway, I do get bothered by the spelling errors and errors like there, their, they're. Occasional mistakes are ok, but after awhile it gets annoying.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I make sure to use a browser that has a spellcheck function. I can spell well but I cannot type well, so that's where my mistakes come from.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:34 AM on Nov. 2, 2010