How do I handle my 5YO DD who REFUSES to wear a coat in this cold weather??

My head is about to explode. She refuses to wear a warm coat. I'm at my witt's end. Please help! Her heels are in the sand on this one and I have no patience for it.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree with letting her go without a coat...she will get cold enough one day to realize that she needs a coat....my daughter and I went through the same thing and after about a week of really cold weather she finally put the coat on...
    mwallace1023

Answer by mwallace1023 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree that in this weather she is not in danger of getting frost bite or anything like that. And being cold doesn't make you sick. Let her make the decision and suffer the consequence. There is no need for you to go through the frustration. I think it is a very good lesson for her to learn without being a danger. My daughter didn't want to switch out of her summer clothes even though it was really time to put pants back on and a sweater, I let her wear her shorts to school one day and that was all it took. The next day she was in pants and a sweater and I didn't have to fight at all.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• do you think she'd learn her lesson from getting TOO cold? like right now its not frost bite cold most places but cold enough to teach a lesson... ??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Don't make her. Being cold is not going to make her sick, it will just make her uncomfortable. Chances are she will get cold enough to wear her coat.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• This is not a battle I would fight. Let her pick her coat. If she is cold, it's her fault. She'll wear a warm coat the next day. She is only hurting herself.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:37 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My oldest isn't one for coats. I've taught him to layer his clothing - undershirt, shirt, sweat shirt. The only time I insist on a coat is if it below freezing. It gets left in the car most days if I'm not watching. He'll also wear shorts year round just like his father if I let him.

His little brother is starting to have the same tendencies. Right now I can get him to wear a fleece instead of a coat. Seems to keep him warm and happy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• get one of the boggle closure ones so she cant take it off without help lol
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 10:32 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't give her a choice... no coat, no going outside ANYWHERE... not even to school. I bet she gets the picture really quick.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree, AmiJanell. My dd wants to go with me everywhere. Shopping, doctors office, post office, whetever. Sometimes she trys to put up a fight about coats an jackets. I tell her she has to wear one, otherwise she can't come. Mommy will go on her own. That usually changes her mood quickly. -That's only if she obviously trying to nagg about something. Not if the jacket is uncomfortable, her hair gets caught up in the zipper or something like that. Kids don't always say what bothers them straight away.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• She's 5! Stand up to her momma! Punish her for disobeying you. You're the parent. Get creative. Find out what hurts her and use it. Take a way her toys. Make her scrub the baseboards. Its not about the coat as it is about the insubordination. If you told her to do it, she's got to do it.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2010