Coping with osteoarthritis.

I'm a 32 year old mum to 6 children and have osteoarthritis in every joint. It has recently started getting really bad as the weather is getting colder. Has anyone got any advice etc on how to cope with things when I am unable to move very much. Also suggestions for activities I could try to keep myself amused so I don't go stir crazy with boredom, I already do card-making and cross-stitch.

Creating78

Asked by Creating78 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Health

• I am a 34 yr old moma to 3 and I also suffer osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. I home school my kids so I don't get bored too often, but my body just cannot move until about 1 or 2 in the afternoon, sometimes later now with cold weather here. We have a completely different schedule than most people because of it, but it works for us. Mondays are my worst days so we do not have classes on that day. Each day we get up around noonish, get chores done and begin school when I am ready anywhere from 2-4pm.

Try to make the housework/family life to work around your good hours of the day so that you can participate as much as possible! HTH!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have osteo in my hands. I've been in insurance for the last 20 years so mine is pretty much from being on the computer all day. I have a really great Arthritis doc. I try to follow her instructions. I will do the stretching excercises on my hands & fingers. Really stretching them OUT.....then moving the "joint" in each. Say for your forefinger, you have 3 joints, stretch your fingers out then bend just the first joint up & down, then 2nd, then the whole finger. Make like "claw" then stretch it back out. Excersize each finger helps. The little grip balls (stress balls) that are filled with sand are really good.
    I know how you feel! Sometimes even the best excersizes still can't work against the weather. I've noticed good sleep really helps all forms of arthritis.
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestions Babylove 76. I used to home school my oldest but I would never manage the field trips nowadays. What you have said sounds like a good way of getting through life under the circumstances. Just wish I could stay in bed till my joints get into gear but with school run to do it's a nightmare lol. I can't wait to see what other mums can suggest. There are bound to be loads of suggestions all as equally helpful as yours.
    Creating78

Comment by Creating78 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Thanks, OP and I think that it helps to not feel like you are giving in or giving up - just working around your painful times and days. My DH is very supportive and he does the field trips part. If I am up for it, I go with, keeping my limitations in check. We also have 2 kids with epilepsy, so we have things we need to do for that also. Temp changes is a big trigger for seizures, so we are extra careful about temps between inside and outside. We have to keep a close eye on that to make sure they don't have any more seizures than we can help. My youngest stops breathing and needs to be resuscitated so it can get a little scary!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have heard that ACV and cartilage supplements help a lot.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2010