Has anyone had trouble with the Mirena IUD?!?!

Ever since I had the Mirena IUD inserted I've done nothing but gain weight, have terrible mood swings, always tired, grumpy, and just feel BLAH! Am I crazy or is the someone out there with me!!?? Please help!

sarahmarie105

Asked by sarahmarie105 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• *raises hand* I thought I was going crazy. I'm to scared to get it taken out. Also, I don't want them to be like "you've gained a lot of weight". I feel uncomfortable enough.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I've even tried lots of different ways to lose weight, but nothing is working!
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• hrm.. i was thinkin bout getting it. i have a friend that has it and she's put on a bunch of weight. ........ but really what other options do i have other than the ring? i can't deal with the pill.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i was perfectly fine with mine until it shifted and stabbed through my cervix... very painful!
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I had an IUD for 11yrs in the 60's and 70's. The IUD imbeds in your uterus and mimics pregnancy. I did not gain weight. I Lost and went below 100 lbs, infections. I had to have a D &C to remove it and need a pint of blood transfused. I don't know what a "Mirena IUD" is. I just know that mine was a copper pine tree. I pioneered the damn things along with birth control pills. What most of you have to worry about now is blood clots forming.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I've had it for 2 years and I never gained any weight. In fact, I lost all of my pregnancy weight and then some. I do think that it has messed up my sex drive.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I've had the Mirena for almost 2 years now (2 years in February) and I haven't had any issues. During the first 4 months or so I was a little emotionally off but I think it was just my body adjusting. I haven't gained any weight or have had any other issues.
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• OP, you just described everything I went threw the entire 7 months I had Mirena. I also had absolutly no sex drive. I had it removed after it tilted and scratched my uterin wall. That hurt so bad. I could barely even stand when it happened.

I had it removed a year ago and have been activly TTC ever since it was taken out, with no luck. I am very afraid that the damage from the Mirena was more sever than my OB first thought and that it is making it hard for me to conceive.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Wow, it's good to hear some of your ladies' feedback because I been contemplating taking it out. I was adamant in getting it put in at first, but my OB highly recommended it since I was pregnant with diabetes, so I did it anyhow. But, I do believe it must be the culprit to my lacking libido. I'm not sure it really affected me as far as weight because I was working out for a couple of months and lost 10lbs, but am super extra crabby and grouchy and tired all the time. Matter of fact I think I have to try an alternate route this time.
    mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 3:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2010

• If you suspect you are having bad symptoms, talk w/ your dr. if there is anything you can do to alleviate them!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011